Starting a Tour Company

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kylenick13, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, corruption is all over the country. just spend some weeks in df and you will see. cancun is somehow "predictable"...

well, the airport is a different story anyway and i don't know what thats going to be with the new big rivera maya airport planned.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The airport is so busy that it provides great cover for all the goods and people being smuggled through there. If they open another airport then I'm sure the "business" will continue in whichever airport is busier, or it will expand to both of them.

3. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    too expensive in Colorado...least in the mountains it is.

Oh yea, its cold too. My AC bill here was less than my heating bill would have been back there.

Crap happens everywhere...didn't 5 just get murdered in Lodo?

4. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so anyway, good luck with your tour company project!

:D

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kim,

I saw that news article this morning and immediately thought of you and A. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

T.J.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I must admit that from a purely selfish level I dont see it as that much of a problem, at least to Joe Tourist or Joe FM3.

Of course, witnessing such events would be very traumatic (a la Coral Negro) as would be knowing someone involved (a la your hubby).

But I feel as long as (in no particular order):
    a) you dont get mixed up in politics
    b) you dont get mixed up in crime
    c) you dont get mixed up in big business
    d) you dont partner with anyone in business who you dont know and trust 110%
    e) you are not a Govt official

Then mafiosa is just something you'll read about in the paper from time to time.

a) and e) are probably the only ones you could delete if you lived in the UK or US.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately in my life the mafia is far too present, not easy to avoid at all. My husband has been threatened, cajoled and all kinds of other things by them. He works side-by-side with them and carefully stays out of their way, but it's not easy. We don't read about it in the paper, we deal with it every day.

And one of our attorneys was knocked off, in his office, 2 blocks from my house about 6 months ago. And the people who used to live upstairs from the rental condo we bought last summer turned out to be hit men for the mob, fortunately they got busted. It's everywhere here if you open your eyes.

Of course if you come on vacation and sit on the beach and ignore the papers you won't notice anything at all, unless a bale of coke washes up on the beach in front of you...

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Not trying to diminish your comments Kim, far from it, hope you didnt take it that way. But as mentioned, with your hubby being a Govt official then corruption is likely to be more of a talking point in your household than it is at ours.

Personally, and I think many who post here fall in the same category, we've had no impact direct or otherwise from the Mafia in the three years we've been here, and long may it continue.

Believe me my eyes are open, and that's exactly why I have "rules" about what I will get involved with, and what I wont. Compared to the anti social behaviour and random street attacks in my hometown multiple times a day, also racial abuse Jannet suffered in the UK we feel far more comfortable here.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - I completely understand and agree with your point. For the vast majority of vacationers and rentistas here the corruption is just an something you might read about in the paper or witness in it's more mundane forms. And if my husband weren't a federal agent it would likely be that way for us as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice