Starting a Tour Company

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kylenick13, Nov 8, 2007.

1. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another Acapulco? I don't think so. I think most people don't want to come to "Mexico" rather someplace warm. Acapulco really shares its city (read: problems) with its visitors because the city is right there. Cancun has taken care of this "problem."

The last few weeks we have explored quite a bit of the tourist areas around here and what I have found is that there is something for everyone here (Riviera Maya). What an amazing vacation destination this area is. Beauty, history, culture, food, sun, surf. It is pretty amazing if you think about it. Hippies in Tulum, Eurohipsters in Playa and...well a little of everything in Cancun.

2. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and whale sharks in Holbox

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can find whale sharks off the coast of Isla Contoy as well.

Went there myself in July.

4. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sure you can... and pay double the price for half the fun... but thats another story

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  6. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    finally back. i was here as you know, then i went to D.F. and now i am back, taking care of business

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of the problems here is increased obvious mafia activity. I just heard that a co-worker of my hubby has been kidnapped due to some mafia-related activity, and he's not the first one, and won't be the last. It happens every few months here. The mob here needs to gets itself reorganized and decide who is boss, then the violence should slow down. Strong leadership and all that.

Unfortunately in the past couple of years that mob-related violence has been increasing around here and it's just a matter of time before it negatively impacts the tourism. Right now tourists aren't aware of how many immigrants, guns and drugs are smuggled through this area, but if violence continues they will start to see the mob activity here as a threat to their vacations.

To be honest the government in Quintana Roo is probably not doing all they should to protect tourism as the primary industry here. Probably this is due to some of the officials also being beneficiaries of Cancun's "other" industries.

To me, when someone mentions "another Acupulco" I think of mob-violence first, and empty hotels second.

8. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Indeed, if one were to see an execution at Coral Negro on your vacation that would be a bit of a bummer.

...oh wait.

9. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no worries, they are settling the battles downtown.

if i would get 10 pesos for each police or ambulance that passed by my house the last days, i would be rich by now...

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see in today's paper that the government official in charge of the Cancun airport, José Luis Soladana Ortiz, was just found murdered.

My husband just spoke to him a couple of days ago. This guy was the biggest boss at the airport, in charge of everything. No one is untouchable here.

And no, I don't believe they are settling the battles, I think the battles are raging, I think there are Cubans factions vying for control of the smuggling going through the airport, and I don't see them settling anything anytime soon. Until someone emerges as a strong leader of the mafia the violence will continue.

I think I'll go look at real estate prices back in Colorado now. Cancun would be great if it weren't for all this corruption, I've about had it with this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice