SPIRIT AIR'S LATEST GRAB AT YOUR WALLET

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., May 13, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many travelers know that Spirit recently began charging $10 for a 2nd checked bag and $100 for a 3rd one.

Well now, starting June 20, you will have to pay to check any luggage. $10 per checked bag if you do it at the airport but "only" $5 if arranged in advance online.

Spirit's version of first class, Spirit Plus, will change to Premium Economy class of service, whatever that is, but will be called the creatively named "Big Front Seat." No more free booze for those paying double or more than those in Coach.

Spirit has had a profitable system for quite a while but must not have heard the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" old saying.

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One way to handle that would be to start using that 2nd and 3rd bag as a money-maker to offset the increased fees.

I'll give you an example: If one were to offer to bring a 3rd full-size piece of luggage filled with whatever could be legally transported from the US when travelling, I suspect one could get $200 rental for the space inside of that luggage (as the cost to have things mailed to Mexico and the tariffs involved with non-accompanied goods appear to be quite prohibitive).

Now that Spirit's charging for it, they are likely obligated to ship it for that flat rate of when one brings it as luggage and the traveller's personal exemptions would likely cover the ordinarily steep tariffs.

3. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow!!!! Lucky me. I am leaving in a few days for FLL. I was aware that I would have to pay an extra $10 on return, but that's an abuse. You have to go and come back with hands in your pockets???

But why to bother..... they have more and more passengers and more and more destinations, so I guess they have no fear. Well... I paid 1c for the trip, only one way though, although both were at that rate, the return didn't display it, whatever date I chose.

At least, they announce it in advance this time. You said JUNE 20, right??? But if I receive all their so-called offers, promotions or whatever, I DID NOT receive this one!

About abuse, ADO is another one. More expensive to go to the airport than to PDC. Let's fill in our pockets while we can! Cancun slogan.

Thanks TJ, and BTW... I can return the favor if you need. Just let me know. I will not have 2 full big suitcases + a carry on. Well, + a computer + a purse haha!!! Still will have some space.

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    >More expensive to go to the airport than to PDC.

They MIGHT have to pay a special tax for each bus entering the airport?

Knowing airports.....

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure that's it Drew. I understand that anyone picking up from the airport has to pay a tax. I don't think there's anyway to tax people dropping folks off, but when they pick them up again there's a tax.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice