SPICES

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Nov 4, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    INDIAN FOOD RESCUE MISSION

Sam, if you could give me your "short list", I'll ask my wife, who's in the states, now, if she could help you out with something. Later, we'll see what it tastes like, after it's cooked!

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PRICEY STUFF

Indian food is always pricey in restaurants. I think it may be because of all the handwork it takes. There are dishes my wife makes in which she grinds, and fries, spices for two hours, then starts cooking! But, is there anything like it, in the world!

I never met anybody from the U.K. who wasn't mad about Indian food. Such are a little thinner on the ground, in Texas!

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll second the motion about the Azda collection at Superama. Doesn't compare to Canon's Park in Stanmore (our favorite) but they're an acceptable substitute. You can sometimes find Patek there and at Walmart as well.

The only acceptable Nan we've found in Cancun was at Taste of India on Tulum, and even then I'm using the word acceptable in a generous fashion. We've been doing the Casa Rolandi trick of inflating a pita and brushing it with spiced oil to use as an ersatz Puri. It does the job (even though Puris are supposed to be eaten at breakfast).

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam, I just read your reply now, GranMa-in-law is a wise person :wink:

There is a long range of small tiendas at Mercado 23 selling many kinds of spices (weird -which are not so weird but medicinal- plants, coming back very trendy now are on another side), and much much cheaper than fancy places that I can't afford either. And I always did my best to mingle with Mexicans. Sigh...

I don't know exactly what they have but whatever I was looking for I found there.

Hmmmmmmmmm.... Idian food in UK. I don't have anymore the opportunity to go there since my daughter moved to Switzerland :(

5. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If someone locates cardamom, let me know! I have a serious addiction to it in baking, curries, Turkish coffee. A serious addiction. I have a good supply, but then I've reigned in the addiction! Saffron in multi packs at Costco as I recall. I have a serious addiction there, too. Look out in Mercado 23 re saffron. Like most of Mexico, they sell yellow colored threads of something without flavor, call it azafran, but if you read the label, it is not at all!

6. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for that, is that the shop over by the other Samsclub?

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: INDIAN FOOD RESCUE MISSION

Well providing they have the list Rivergirl said in Sorianna and if not elsewhere, it looks like Tumeric is the only one and possibly Cardamoms, especially with Zinas addiction, it doesn't sound like we can ever have too many in Cancun. Of course there will be beer for your troubles :)

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes. There's also La Europea as well.

9. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got back from Liverpool and they have indeed got tumeric for 25 pesos and ground cardamums along with curry powder and a whole host of other exotic spices to excite the senses and tease the tastebuds....so we've got the rain, the herbs and spices, now all we need is somone to rustle up a ruby and we can feel like we're in Tooting Broadway for a few hours...

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You bring the Stella, i'll do the ruby son :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice