Speaking of Cablemas

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Jan 5, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now I can see why friends refer to them as "Cablemenos"...

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It looks to me like Cablemas may be having technical problems with their new equipment, converter?, that is used with the premium packages. They have assured me that CNN International and BBC should be coming in on my set, with the Paquete Plus, but they're not, and two technicians haven't been able to make it happen, yet. They said they'd return, Sat, to try it again.

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When we were looking for TV coverage back in the fall of 2007 we were told that there was no cable available on our Calle in the Hotel Zone. So we went with Dish Network and have all the US channels.

Thank God for Hodamayo, he's the best!!

Oh, and we only need one 'clicker'.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Is anyone currently receiving BBC or CNN Internationanl via Cablemas' digital service? I'm asking because, after four visits from their technical staff, I was told that Cablemas was having trouble delivering this service, at this time....

I live in SM4

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,

I don't usually watch CNN Int'l so can't help you with that, but I watched BBC (channel 208, I think) last night and have watched it quite a bit recently. It's working fine for me. However, my 2 US channels went out briefly a couple of times last week, while all other channels were unaffected.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Susan. I think they said that just so I (and others like me) would shut up, for a while! I'll see them on Monday, for the last time. After that, I'm filing with Profeca.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I assume you mean Profec"O", V.. and good luck with that... I doubt giagantic companies like Cablemas are going to worry about it and at most you'll get a few hundred pesos refund which probably wont even justify your time spent.. but by all means let us know what happens... I think it's more of a take it or leave it thing.. just like Telmex, CFE, and Aguakan....

I do find it curious that they would have problems sending channels to certain areas while other areas are fine.. which would make me think they have a defective batch of cable boxes or something of that nature that won't accept programming of certain frequency ranges or a defective repeater, but I honestly have only a limited understanding of how they have the local cable system distributed so it could be anything.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Life and V,

I beg to differ. A few months ago I had an issue with a CFE bill that lost a few hundred pesos of credit as I had paid a couple of months in advance. Oddly, when they ran my charges and credits on an addinig machine, their figures were in agreement with mine. Agent Pastor kept telling me that the credit would properly appear on the next bill. After two more bills, 4 months, it did not.

After numerous trips to CFE, and even speaking with a supervisor behind the "iron curtain" and threatening to go to Profeco if the situation was not corrected immediately. She called in another behind the wall person who said to return in two weeks and it would be fixed. Two weeks later I returned and the account was still off. I prepared my complaint and made copies of all relevant documents. By this time I heard that CFE had so many complaints with Profeco that a single person was assigned to nothing but CFE.

I went back to CFE and told the same guy, Pastor, that I would either walk out of his office with the proper credit on my bill, restoring my account to its correct balance, or a cash refund, or I was on the way at that very moment to Profeco, and showed him my neatly organized file. Amazingly, my account was suddenly restored to its correct balance.

Now I just deal with paying the exact amount rather than trying to pay a set amount and eat up the credits over time.

SO, TO V, I SUGGEST GIVING THEM A DROP DEAD DATE, ASSURING THEM THAT IF THE CHANNELS ARE NOT INSTALLED, HE WILL GO DIRECTLY TO PROFECO WITH HIS COMPLAINT. IT MIGHT EVEN HELP TO LET THEM KNOW OF YOUR PREVIOUS WORK AS AN ATTORNEY.

Good luck.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Last chance!

I don't know how much of this sorry tale to tell, but after five technical visits, and two visits to the office, and still not having BBC or CNN International, I decided to go, again, and make a final gesture (expecting to ask to be cut back to basic cable, internet and telephone service, as I was disgusted with the result of having the digital service). What happened, instead, was a surprise: the girl I spoke with said these two channels were never part of the package I had been sold (Paquete Plus), though both the sales agent, and the brochure said they were.

Seems like she was the only one in the place who'd gotten the word. She said those two channels would be on, along with the rest of the "International Package," by the time I got home. She was right, and they've been on ever since....

Having grown weary from dealing with them, I may just leave well enough alone, with my expensive, new service (total is just around 900 pesos/month)- and enjoy the channels I'd waited a month to see, along with a whole bunch I never had any thought of seeing.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As V knows, essentially the same thing happened to me but with the International Package. I was getting none of the channels after having them for years, including CNN International and BBC, although I am mainly a Fox guy. So Juan, who is now like my best friend, decided to use the service code that was used for my old box before I traded it in for the HD box that is really a piece of crap. Loe and behold, all of the Int'l Pkg stations came back along with CNN and BBC which they had now figured was part of the Int'l Pkg. This only took 5 trips, switching out a box, etc. Maddening.

I am told that NBC and ABC should be part of either the existing Int'l Pkg (as they have been for years for about $14 per month each) or of a new Int'l Pkg that will be put together, by the end of June. Stay tuned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice