Some interesting (but tragic) accounts

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by lilnottsman, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    They get me down too. But you cant reason with those kind of people, so I dont even try.

Have just spent a good hour reading through this site:

Mexico Murder Rate Reality Check | The Truth About Mexico

Some really great articles and balanced discussion in the comments.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think some of our local bloggers have written stuff for that site.

3. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From that AOL article with the waaay toooo looong URL (ever here of URL shorteners?)"
    Marlo-Renay posts here.

Car accident deaths of tourists are actually pretty uncommon, though one accident can kill off everyone in a tourist van at once.

The vast majority of tourists here die from heart attacks, it's far and away the number one cause. Drowning is next and alcohol-related choking or alcohol-related accident deaths (falls) are next, I think. Car accidents happen too, but are considerably less frequent than other kinds of tourist deaths here.

I've got a lot of tourist death data in a spreadsheet and will try to get it into a form more fit for human consumption soon. It's a part-time project for me, and I have many part-time projects.

5. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope not this computer expert.....:wink3:

6. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Here is the one that I use and I'm no expert either, LOL!

http://tinyurl.com/

All you have to do is copy and paste the long URL title into the blank space at the Site and click. The result will be the new and shortened version of the original URL.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't mean to be snarky, sorry. Using a URL shortener allows you to post long URLs without having them wrap and potentially break, it's safer and nicer for your readers. TinyURL is good, Bitly is also good: bit.ly, a simple url shortener

8. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got it. TY

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That spreadsheet would be awesome! I'd love to see it when it's complete :) Great idea.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, the problem is the spreadsheet is hard to read as is. Some pie charts showing how many people of a given nationality die as a % of those who visit would be useful. It would be interesting to see if one nationality of ppl die at a rate that is not in proportion with how many people of that country visit. Like, for example, if Canadians represent 20% of all visitors here but represent 30% of all tourist deaths then that would be interesting, I have no idea what it would mean...and I'm not sure the number of records I have is statistically relevant. But I will do my best to make it clear to everyone what data I have and what conclusions seem to be safe to draw.

And here I thought I would never need that nasty Statistics course I took in college.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice