Some interesting (but tragic) accounts

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by lilnottsman, Mar 30, 2010.

1. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I totally see your POV. However, I've been involved in the RV subculture for 6 years now and have traveled all over Mexico in our trailer. Believe me when I tell you that the RVers are the FIRST to shout down those coming to their forum and telling them how "scary" and "dangerous" MExico is. They are always defending Mexico and painting the serious violence as drug-related and nothing to do with tourism. I've personally met some of them and have been in exactly the same location as each incident took place, with my 4 kids, and know it has nothing to do with "dodgy" areas or flaunting wealth.

Also, some of these guys have been coming and RVing Mexico for 20 years or more. They are long-time travelers to Mexico who are at least aware of the culture and customs. If incidents like this had been happening with regularity over the last 6 years, I assure you, we would know. Why would they participate for 6 years and suddenly, in the last few months start posting these stories? No, the number of incidents against tourists is on the rise and it is not directly related to narco activity. Now maybe, other than the notorious Pemex in Pto Adventuras (surely you've heard the story about the Columbian and the Pemex attendant? :)) we are afforded a hands-off bubble here in the Yucatan. I don't know. I do know that tourists are being targeted in places that have been considered "safe" for years. Places with guards. Major highways.

We know the situation is different for locals. I'm sure you have read about tiny towns which were once absolutely removed from any hint of drug involvement suddenly taken over by narcos and laid siege, of road blockades, of wholesale massacre of innocent young adults ignoring a machine gun. But the tourist used to be seen with a layer of protection. I mean, at a minimum, the narcos need the tourists to drive their money-laundering businesses. :)

The most recent incidents were:

In Mazatlan, the RV park guard was tied up and one Class A (that would be the really expensive type of RV) was approached. It had been empty for a month earlier and the owners had just returned. So it could have been a simply robbery attempt, but tying up RV park security guards is brand new and this is the first time it has been reported in my 6 years of Mexico travel. The RV owner opened the door, resisted robbery and was shot. The Mexican tourism head in Mazatlan paid for the couple's son to fly to Maz, paid all their medical bills and I think they paid for their RV to be sent back to Canada. These people are long-term Mexican RVers and will not be back. After that incident, unrelated to it, outside another RV park in Mazatlan, a gunshoot ensued leaving 2 police dead and bullet holes everywhere. There is a HUGE list of people who used to come to Mazatlan for the winter (RV parks are generally full with no vacancy and people pay the next season in advance) who will not be returning next year. These are people who have been coming for the last decade or more.

North of Mazatlan, in Celestino, a shrimp factory area (we've stayed there, it is flanked by ejido and consists of 2 RV parks and a town), along MX15, an ambush was setup and 3 RVers were allowed to pass through it, but did watch the setup of the ambush. This was most definitely narco-related, but again, no tourist was involved and they specifically were allowed to pass.

North of Ciudad Victoria, on MX180, 2 RVs were highjacked, the owners allowed to disembark (with pets). I believe there was a 3rd incident in the same area very soon after the 1st two incidents. At least 2 of the rigs had been right here with us in QRoo. Ciudad Victoria has one of the oldest operating RV parks in the country. It is well-known as an excellent place to stop and the owner is very welcoming and friendly, a real ambassador to her country. The federales are currently involved in this situation and it is not resolved. It is rumoured that the rigs have been found but the situation is unresolved as far as I know. These were all Canadians involved.

So, really, only 3 incidents - one inside an RV park in the middle of Mazatlan and definitely NOT drug or dodgy-person related and NOT in a dodgy area. The other 2 incidents were definitely NOT drug or dodgy-person related or drug related.

I have to say that when the RVer in Mazatlan was shot, most everyone assumed he had to be involved in the drug trade. It just made sense. It is much easier to feel you're not a target if the only targets can be "dirty" ones. After the Mexican tourist board came out and many others vouched for him it was obvious it could not have been drug-related. I'm not suggesting that here in the Yucatan we have prices on our heads even though we are "clean". I don't know what is happening in MExico, but I do know that incidents are happening that have not ever been reported before and I truly believe they haven't happened before.

I remember last year or the year before, some couple got hammered, went off into the Baja desert and got robbed. They reported a rape, robbery, all kinds of trauma. The Baja RVers really picked his story apart. It was full of inaccuracies and eventually we figured he was really just being stupid and lying about some things. He got a big write up in the San Diego paper and all kinds of press. There was another "Baja" incident where a guy was shot at in an attempt to be jacked (he was pulling a trailer with a racing car on it or something REALLY flashy) at 3am and we regulars told him he was lucky AND stupid. Noone really reacted at these incidents because the folks were being stupid.

These recent events are not folks being stupid. They are regular folk, driving MX15 and MX180 (major highways) being smart, not "dirty" and being targeted. That is the difference and the reason I am saying that Mexico is changing. Maybe we're immune down here in QRoo. I don't know. But I'm not assuming that because I'm an expat and I'm "clean" that I am safe.

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just for some perspective... 2 people were killed in their own homes in separate home invasions just this week in Tampa....

Two dead in separate overnight home invasions - Bay News 9

So that's what one headline in one city in the US will get you... as an example.... I'm sure you can look up the local news for ANY US city and find that there have been several murders in the past week.. never mind other crimes.... and they warn people against going to Cancun...

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This one is depressing, the violence is disrupting people's studies:
    UT Austin Recalling Students from N. MX « Liveshots

This debate is the same one we always have. The real question is how safe do you feel?

When I moved here I was adventurous and was happy to explore as much as possible, just as I have done in every other place I've ever lived. But I soon realized that you can't do that here, you can't drive all over and wander all over here. Wandering up the beach isn't even smart here. Being curious here is dangerous.

I came from a place where a large percentage of the land was protected by the state or the feds, so I very literally could wander at will and not worry about it ever being a problem (except for needing to protect against mountain lions). And I came from a place where the economy was based on what people could do with their brains (software companies and government labs were big employers) so there wasn't the under current we get here of illicit business. I could wander all over there and I wasn't going to accidentally see something I shouldn't. But here it's a very real possibility that you can stumble upon something you don't want to know about.

If you are someone who is content to not engage with the land, to not get out there and explore the land, then stay home with your 300 channels and your wireless internet and your guarded street and guess what, you will be safe. But if you really want to hike and explore and see the land here you are running a risk. And I think that is really sad. This is a beautiful place, but it can only be enjoyed if you follow a narrow little path paved with tourist-dollars.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can you say "lawsuit?" Poor kid did not need the hospital to complicate his case like that.

I'll bet there was heightened security because they happened to show up while Calderon was here. The airport has very serious security, as it should, when heads of state are here, and there have been a number of them here lately.

It's a load of crap that they needed to pay anyone to let that plane leave. The airport has plenty of illicit business going on but there was ZERO need to pay anybody any money to allow a plane on a medical mission to leave. That's total hogwash!

Go ahead and trash Mexico for things it's guilty of, but from what I know of that airport (which is way toooo much) I know that no one would have gotten in the way of a medical plane leaving. The plane would have had to follow the same rules as all other planes leaving, it would have had to file a general declaration and list all passengers leaving on it (and it would have had to have been cleared to leave by INM), but if they followed the rules (like everyone does) they would have been off the ground as fast as possible.

It's AMAZING to me that the gringos come down and PAY a bribe that didn't need to be paid and then ADVERTISE how they willingly participated in corruption here. That's a mind-blower. Yes, Mexico is a very corrupt country because idiots hand out money when they shouldn't, WAY TO GO!

6. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really need to stop reading these news stories. The ignorant comments really get to me. *sigh*

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FYI, I wrote a comment on the St. Louis Globe-Democrat site, at the bottom of the article.

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bravo. But the problem with commenting on this kind of journalism is you become the voice in the wilderness, as evidenced by the ridiculous reply to your well-reasoned comment (although you did get one positive response).

Most people who would bother to read this kind of BS are not going to accept anything you say. They read Malkin (and others) in order to confirm the righteousness of their own biases. There are exceptions, including some on this board, who are capable of reading an opinion in opposition to their own and at least considering its merits, but they are few and far between. Meanwhile, keep shouting, because somebody's got to do it.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cough, I think I'm getting hoarse.

I'm all for people berating Mexico, just make sure Mexico is guilty first. Haha.

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sigh... I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Why doesn't Mexico (or at least the major hotels) sue the crap out of these "news" outlets for slander?

If I published a story about "drug dealers" and "sex crimes" in Florida while showing video of Disney world, Disney would sue my pants off for the visual association, yet video of Cancun is routinely shown along side videos of graphic violence in the North and directly slandered as being a deathtrap! :ranting1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice