Sol_Dave- Should he stay or should he go

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 7, 2005.

?

Sol_Dave - should he stay or should he go?

1. Aye to the right

100.0%
  2. Nay to the left

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kait13

Kait13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    omg he has to stay! i loved it when he stared to sing bump n' grind! SO GOOD

2. Angie

Angie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please stay....And I want to see the picture too :) Please send it out to us Dave :claphappy:

3. johnc

johnc Administrator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Well I vote for him to stay, the reasons for previous "booting" were well founded as already mentioned....The "offence" of referring to all Americans as yankees is comparatively light hearted, in the same way as the protests in this thread. Most Americans make similar mistakes in calling Scots English which really would get one into a fight in Glasgow!!!

I see no reason for him to leave...cockney street talk is no offence either, we have AliG for that :)

4. Sparkey

Sparkey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yan·kee ( P ) Pronunciation Key (yngk) n.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Probably from Dutch Janke, nickname of Jan, John.]

Word History: The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning “little Jan” or “little John,” a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion.

except of course for baseball fans.

5. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First - The names almost 350 years old. Get over it!

Second - Steve, you are a Brit. Deal with it!

Last - If someone defeated the French in Quebec, why are they still here???

[Note - This was funny to me. If it offends anyone, I'm sorry. In my defense, it's beer day at the office]

6. Ben Gaz

Ben Gaz Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As for "We are all Yanks!"..........NOT ME!!!

And I just thought I would let you know I voted to boot his ass out of here. Little punk comes on here, has 30 posts, and all he does is cause problems. If he does stay, I think he should be sent to the springbreak forum with the rest of those kiddies so they can talk in their slang about hooken up and pinnin female dogs! (rather then use the real word, I used the definition).

Well, now that everyone is confused at my response, I would like to say that it was all a joke, even though I did vote for him to be booted just because I like to be the under dog and I figured that he would have plenty of votes to stay. So my nay vote would just be ignored. To be honest, I have never actually heard of Sol Dave before this thread so he has never offended me or caused any problems. I guess since I may have offended people, maybe you should have a vote to see if I get the boot!!! :p

7. Ben Gaz

Ben Gaz Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh and now that I just read my reply and realised that I AM in the Breakers forum, you can probably disregard my comment about sending him to the BF because he is already here. I'm just lost sometimes, mentally and don't even know what forum I'm in.

8. imtraveln

imtraveln Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This convict votes for him to stay !!!!

9. dex

dex Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh just stay Sol_Dave, sure you ask for help in a peculiar fashion but I have found the people at CC are very accepting lol. Aww what posts for 9 am on a saturday :p

10. Dori

Dori Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha ha ha...this just gets worse and worse....
    Waste... :lol: you crack me up...

sparkey...and the rest I suppose....Nope I'm not a yank...not in the way it's thrown about now....yeah yeah I get the definition....but we're southerners...ha ha ha... :wink: No offense taken anywhere in here guys....it's all fun...

Ben....ha a a ha ha...Idiot!!! :lol: I agree....we should pull a poll out for you :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice