Snorkeling in hotel zone

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by siki00, Apr 4, 2007.

1. siki00

siki00 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

Is there anywhere to snorkel in the hotel zone? We love to snorkel. We are planning a trip xel ha, but would also like to go to a couple more places for snorkeling. How far is Cozumel from Cancun? Is it easy to do a day trip there?

Thanks.
    Michelle

2. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not sure how easy it would be to go to Cozumel, but a wonderful day trip is over to Isla Mujeres. We were in Cancun in February and did a trip over to Isla, and for those of us who snorkel (not me) they said it was great snorkeling. We did a little tour by ourselves, and they took us wherever we wanted to go on Isla, two different really good places for snorkeling and then also to Playa Tiburon for lunch. It was a lot of fun, so much that my husband and I are going back in June for part of a trip to Isla and part of the trip to Cancun.

3. siki00

siki00 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do you get to Isla Mujeres? By ferry I assume. Can you take a car there? Also, was this a private tour you took? If so, where did you go to book this?

Thanks again.

4. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We took a ferry over there, but it looks like there is a car ferry out of Punta Sam. When we went, we took a bus to the Puerto Juarez dock. (first you see a dock that is Gran Puerto, but we stayed on the bus. A man who lived on Isla suggested we go to the next one) Right at Puerto Juarez there was a man offering the tour, (it was a company, but unfortunately I don't have the card now) and they took us over in a boat (but not a ferry, so you do get wet, but it was fun) Like I said, it was just us on the boat with a driver and a helper, and they took us to the places to snorkel. It was about $25.00 a person, which we thought was a great deal. When you were done with one spot of snorkeling, you told them you were ready to move and didn't have to wait for other people to get done. We didn't really have a plan for Isla, so this worked out great. I'll see if my husband remembers the name of the guy or company.

5. putangie63

putangie63 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The tour operators that book tours to isla might also have tours to cozumel. I know for a fact that aquaworld books tours to both places. Another good place to snorkel if i remember is down by club med on the southern tip of the hotel zone. I'm not sure how easy it is to gain access over there. I remember some people sneaking onto the beach over there and some buying day passes. Hopefully someone else has more info about this.

6. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depending on where you are in the hotel zone, you may want to check out the Club Med area. It is right at the south end of the hotel zone.

The coral there has not returned to its pre-Wilma days, probably will not for many years to come, but it still is great for snorkeling. Many of the tours through places like Aqua Fun or Aqua World take you to this area, but you can also access on your own. Simply take a bus or taxi to Club Med area, walk through to the beach and swim out about 100 yards.

I agree with earlier advice that Isla Mujeres offers great snorkeling.

7. heatme06

heatme06 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did the $25.00 include snorkeling gear and return trip from the Isle, and did it include anything else ei. drinks, food, entertainment etc. Do any or all the snorkeling tours include gear?

8. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The $25.00 included getting over to Isla and back, the snorkeling gear (where you keep the snorkel tube of course but not the mask) but didn't include food or drinks or anything extra like that. It was perfect for us, as we didn't have to wait on anyone else to be done. I don't snorkel, so I swam with our kids while they snorkeled and they got done before the other adults, so we hung out on the boat. It was neat to do it that way.

9. heatme06

heatme06 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like that would work great for us also. If you could think of the name of the company and post it I would appreciate it thanx.

10. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found the card that we were given for the snorkeling and boat stuff, not sure if any of it will make sense since it is in Spanish. (maybe someone who lives there could help, or when you get there ask the hotel???)

OPCA, S.C.L.
    Sociedad Cooperative de
    Servicios Turisticos
    "Operadora del Caribe", S.C.L.

Gaspar May Ocampo (the name of the guy who helped us)

Lancha "Geminis"
    Tel/Casa 843-13-35
    Muelle Fiscal Puerto Juarez

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice