Smoking Ban?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Greta, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Greta

Greta Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ready somewhere about a smoking ban for some places.. Can anyone further tell me about this, please???

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The non-smoking ban went into effect August 28. In general it is not being enforced. Establishments have 180 days to modify their facilities to have separate enclosed areas for smokers and non-smokers. In the meantime, smoking is permitted but in separate areas.

In a new development, they are trying to change the new law already. It currently forces restaurants, bars, discos, etc. to have separate enclosed areas for smokers. It does NOT give them the option of just having a non-smoking establishment so the proposal is to leave it up to the various businesses to decide whether they want to accommodate smokers or to just say "no smoking."

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in Daddy Rock last Saturday and you had to go outside to smoke! The place smelled so fresh and my clothes didn't stink the next day - although my head was still banging! :wink:

4. YamYamMan

YamYamMan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been in force in the UK for a while now and although every bar is nice and fresh it has harmed trade, with folks not so keen to have to light up outside.... that said Cancun would be find with Holiday makers I would imagine

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Places I've been in the last week or two, since the law came in:

La Taberna: Still allow smoking, but have a "smoking area" which is not segregated.

Bandonean Restaurant: There were ashtrays on our table and smoking permitted, not sure if it is venue wide or just where we were.

Pure Nightclub: No smoking inside allowed.

Pat O Briens: (twice for the England games) No smoking inside allowed.

6. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    So do the night clubs have an easily accessible smoking area outside then? Speaking from experience in Canada it can be a royal pain in the ass to get outside and back in again sometimes.

7. Greta

Greta Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info, all.. I know when I have a drink, I like to have a cig or two, so figured i'd try to find info about it.... Nothing major.. Can always go outside, but would finish my drink first...

8. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The law basically states the if there are no open areas there is no smoking. Which really sucks for Doug (Owner of LaTaberna)

9. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's been found, at least up in this area and in NYC, that the ban on smoking doesn't really hurt business once the transitional period is over.

10. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice