Small Propane Grill??

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by raretail, Sep 6, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys have no clue. Je Je.

I had been looking for grills for quite a while but refused to pay double for something comparable to Home Depot type grills in the states.

So one day Bundy and I made a mission out of finding a decent grill at a decent price.

We hit Sams, Costco, City Club, 3 Walmarts, Home Depot, Plaza Las Americas where we checked out Sears, Dorian's and Liverpool and then went to Aurrera. NOTHING that made sense economically for the quality, or lack thereof.

We had seen one before at this cool store at Gran Plaza called Servi Mart or Servi Store or Servi something. It was a bargain at $4,300 and I went to buy it as it was a Unico, or a one of a kind, floor model, open box, etc. There was a tiny hole in the lid where the thermostat snapped it. I was looking around for the thermostat and found that there were no burners. So much for the deal of a lifetime on a grill in Cancun.

Anyway, back to the search. We had heard that there was another Servi whatever but did not know where it was. So we went to the Gran Plaza store to ask and ran into a buddy who told us how to get there. He has no car so his directions pretty much sucked.

Turns out it was at Plaza Las Americas 2 where we had never been. It is a huge mall where white men were rarely if ever seen. Children looked at us like we were circus freaks (Drew - Callate) They were pointing at us and grabbing onto their parents hands. A couple of brave ones wandered close and touched our lily white arms. Now I know what Columbus felt like.

Enough culture - We located the Servi whatever and went in and found a huuuuuge selections of maybe 5 gas grills. We bought a nice one for about $1,400. It was the bargain of the century for a gas grill. Now that we burned a tank of gas running around, not to mention using up all day on a Sunday, we are "cookin' with gas, baby." And of course the same model is now at the Gran Plaza store.

Oh yeah. Never having been there we grabbed the first parking space we found which was in front of Mega and about as far away from Servi whatever as possible. The grill was assembled so we had to roll it to the car. I took off running to get the car and Bundy was going to roll it outside to where I could drive to pick him and it up. I was about 200 yards away and I hear this loud noise. It was both kids screaming for their moms and Bundy rolling this noisy metal grill down the sidewalk.

Summary - Try the Servi whatever at Gran Plaza. Downstairs on the Suburbia end of the mall. Can't miss it. If that fails head out to Plaza Las Americas 2. It is perfectly safe and the story was embellished to make it more entertaining.

PLA#2 - Go north on Kabah from Costco or any known landmark. When you get to Lopez Portillo, keep going north for 2 miles. At the correct light there will be chicken cooking on charcoal grills on the right and before the intersection. On the right on the far side of the intersection is a Pemex. The street is called Niños Heroes but you cannot tell by the directional sign. Anyway, make a right at this light and go another couple of miles and you can see the big Mega sign on the left. And there you are.

2. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But since they're coming from the Hotel Zone, it might be more efficient to turn right onto Bonampak, go through Lopezx Portillo onto the Bonampak Extension and then left onto Niños Heroes and go a couple of blocks to PLA Dos?

Hmmmmm?

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is true if coming from the HZ.

Speaking of extension, I hope your surgery went well.

4. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW - thanks!

I will try to head there today!

5. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it did, TJ. And I can't thank you enough for the donation.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drewbert,

You are very welcome. I am happy to have extra to share with my friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice