Should I rent a car?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by hottatortot, Apr 21, 2009.

1. hottatortot

hottatortot Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do tourists rent a car while there? I know lots of people taking buses but is it common? Before we went to Oahu I read a bunch of stuff online and they were saying how taking the bus is easy and cheap etc... but I decided to rent a car and it was super convenient to drive around Oahu island and see so many more things.

I'm just a little skeptical.... I know it will be out of the US so I'm not sure. I found some rental cars for less than $100 for 9 days! that's super cheap. Anyone had experience with renting a car??

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that the car rentals here require that you get insurance with the rental. So double check your price.

But if you want to rent a car, do it. Lots of tourists are nervous about renting a car here, but it's not very different from driving in the US. Cancun is a bit frantic, but not worse than most big cities in the states.

The only thing to know is that lights change FAST here. The yellow light is one second long. But the green light will flash a few times before it changes, so consider THAT your yellow light.

3. hottatortot

hottatortot Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for your input!!

4. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rental cars offer a convenient way to visit historic points outside the city at very reasonable prices. One of our personal favorites is E-Z Rent a Car. Another one of our personal favorites is Ace Rent a Car. They both have car rentals from $5 per day. Both of these places use Executive Rent A Car in Cancun, so not matter which one you rent from you will pick up the car at Executive, so go with which one is cheaper. Be advised liability insurance is mandatory with a car rental in Mexico at a cost of $11 per day. With tax and mandatory liability expect a little under $20 a day.

Do not take the collision insurance. Your major credit card will cover collision (check with your card company prior to departure). But most major credit cards will provide collision insurance for no charge.

Also both of these places take reservations online without the need of a credit card to make the reservation. I always take the cheapest car as you pretty much are guaranteed an upgrade at no additional cost. Also I suggest making your reservations and then check back often and especially a few days before you go check the rates again as they usually go down within a few days from departure. Then if rates are cheaper cancel existing reservation and make a new one.

5. Buffett

Buffett Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are going to Cancun in June. want to rent a car (convertible) for a few days in order to go down to Playa Del Carman and over to Cozumel. I have checked a few places and can't find a convertible on any list, are they hard to get?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice