Should I get Pesos?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by royale, Jan 27, 2008.

1. royale

royale Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it wise to convert some money into Pesos before leaving? I heard they take US Dollars.
    Also do they take master/visa/amex credit cards at most places?

2. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    almost all places take both pesos and US dollars, including the clubs and shops. Just make sure you can do the math to make sure you get the right change on the bus, in the stores, etc.. since you will get it in pesos.

there's no need to convert US dollars to Pesos, and I wouldn't even try to use a credit card down there for anything. Just use the ATM.

3. B1baller

B1baller Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats what I did last year, I just used all pesos

4. BCstandsFor

BCstandsFor I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How much is the bus? They give you change back?

5. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    bus is 6.5 pesos... or about US$0.60... and it takes you anywhere from downtown to the end of the Hotel Zone way past the Oasis.

6. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I would only use the credit cards in more reputable places ie, the airport. Just use cash everywhere, and the ATm's are great

7. royale

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh okay, well I wouldnt use it at some mom and pop store. I was planning on using it at Walmart, or maybe a fancy restaurant or something.

As far as ATM goes, so I can use my US Bank ATM card and they would return pesos for me? I m sure theres some kind of ATM fee + a conversion charge on top of that right?

I was thinking of bringing some pesos, then getting some travelers checks I can take down to the bank and convert to pesos as needed.

Also where do you guys keep your money when you in are in the hotel room? I cant trust the safe down there. I m sure the maid knows the combination :)

8. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I personally don't put everything I own in the safe. I put my passport or stuff int ehre, then hide some money in my case somewhere...Don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket kinda thing..

9. royale

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes that makes sense.. I was going to hide everything in a sock somewhere behind the TV or something. In the safe I will put the other sock. Kind of like a diversion.

10. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nah just hide them in a sock in your case, thats what I do. I doubt they are going to look through dirty laundry ? I dunno thats what I do, and has worked everytime..Just be careful when youa re drunk...you wanna remember where you put it in your case! :lol: :oops:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice