Shooting on Nader.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Sep 5, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I guess it's a sad commentary on the U.S. that living there can condition you for living in any place with a certain level of gun violence, but that's just how it is.

We've got the Second Amendment; and, other countries, like the U.K. for example, have relative gun safety.

We love our guns, and a few thousand innocents being killed a year doesn't seem to high a price to pay for the privilege of having them close at hand.

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Isnt that right next door to the Holiday Inn (maybe formerly Holiday Inn) When we stayed there I always walked through that parking lot behind the Notorio.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yep, which makes you as likely to get shot there as to be hit on the head by an asteroid in the same parking lot.:icon_smile:

4. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tell that to the 2 victims......

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I´d definitely say the same thing to them, it was just plain dumb bad luck- unless they happened to be the target, which I doubt, given the way it went down. We all live with circumstances over which we have no control: one third of us will die of cancer. So, what? Life goes on.

There are, no doubt, safer places to live than Cancun, or the states, when it comes to gun related violence, but I´m used to the threat it poses, it seems.

I´m just as alive as I was before the shots were fired, and might be just as dead afterward, had I been hit. It changes nothing.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Quite a fatalistic attitude V :)

As the twighlight of your life approaches you've been afforded the luxury of a slightly lackadaisical view towards life, because your's has been wonderfully lived.

However for the younger ones there are still many experiences to have thus the "live or die, huh, it's just bad luck" doesn't resonate with us yet, well me anyway, it's a concept I can't grasp yet, but with every passing year I'm sure it will become clearer...

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    How we characterize a way of looking at things does make a difference.

Someone drives down the street spraying bullets, how likely is that I, myself, will be hit fatally? Pretty unlikely, as I see it.

I guess for me it´s enough for me not to worry to realize how extremely unlikely these events are to bring me down. Lightening strikes I put in the same category, as I do air crashes-possible, but extremely unlikely. It just strikes me as simple math I suppose.

If I hear gun shots I´m just as likely to go investigate, as to hide. Lack of imagination, perhaps?

8. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess we are looking at it from different viewpoints.

That may be the case, but I'm seeing it from the point of "how likely is it someone, anyone is hit?" Pretty likely.

And that's what makes me angry that some worthless human with a gun can accidentally take the life of an honest law abiding citizen whoever they are.

I can't go "huh that's just bad luck, but I'm ok".

I'm not lying in bed worrying about things like this - but nevertheless it infuriates me. I'm not thinking about "I" and am concerned about "us".

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Of course, Mat, and that´s why countries with good gun control laws enjoy a higher quality of life, in this respect.

Guns don´t belong in the hands of civilians. I´ve never owned one, and wouldn´t have one in the house.

Yet, that´s a different calculation from the one of whether the existence of guns in the environment put me at an unacceptable risk: for me, the answer is no, but there are many countries in Africa, the middle east, etc., where the calculation could be different, and I might choose not to live there.

10. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    THAT is what Hitler also thought in about 1939 when his henchmen went door-to-door and collected any & all firearms......... An unarmed society is a defenceless society.:aktion034:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice