shooting in cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Dec 12, 2010.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Bloody Hell ! It just gets better and better ............

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks like Cancun isn't safe anymore, this is really worrying, someone was also shot right next to where we go to eat every night in route 7 the other day, it doesn't matter whether or not the people are targeted, what is to say those people won't have guns to protect themselves and you or someone close might be caught in the crossfire, like that little 8 month old baby was in Michocan. My wife has lived here almost all her life and she says it's never been as bad as it is now and she reads all three papers everyday and she's starting to worry. I am beginning to wonder whether it's the right place to bring up my children, sadly it's not like England is a good place to live anymore. :icon_question:

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The world isn't safe anymore.

A possible serial killer, a mall shooting and another shooting at a public meeting! Did I mention that was just a little of yesterday in Long Island, Sacramento, and Panama City.

I have been here 23 years and remember when there were no gangs, no drugs except for a little weed and certainly no organized crime controlled everything including the police and when you could wander around drunk in the colonias and not get mugged and the police section of the newspaper was half a page and all petty stuff. Cancun is now about 700,00+ strong and in a relatively compact area and under an international magnifying glass.

Yes, it is getting worse (whatever "it" is and whatever "worse" means) here but where is "it" NOT getting "worse?" Everything in life is a trade-off. We came here for each his own reasons and we stay here or don't for each his own reasons because we think "it" is "better" (or not) here than "there."

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed that crime is getting worse here, and it makes me very sad, but I try to keep in mind that it happens with any growing city.

Reading the newspaper every day in any city would make anyone nervous.

I still firmly believe that Cancun is a very safe tourist destination and safe to live in so long as you don't get involved with the wrong people and activities. I have no problem going out by myself, as a young woman. Heck, last week I went all the way from Plaza La Isla to my house downtown at 2 am using public transportation without a care in the world.

I'm very saddened, not to mention confused as to why any "organization" would commit shootings in public places in a city whose income depends on a good reputation.

However, I have never been concerned for my own safety, my friends' safety, or tourist safety while living in Cancun.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Regarding the violence:

Its not so much the amount of incidents(guess Im getting used to it?) that bother me(looking at all of Mexico...), but the extremely raw type of shit that happens. Be-headings, burned alive etc.

Disgusts me to the bone.

I know Mexico is not for me in the long run, and has never been.

Just getting fed up of struggling with daily stuff, but it has been a great experience in MANY ways, thats for sure. :)

6. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am amazed and ashamed at the violence in Cancun as it all stems from the demand for drugs from the U.S. People in Mexico that are involved in the trade are involved as well but, in my opinion Mexico simply happens to be the unlucky neighbor stuck between the worlds largest gun supplier/drug consumer and producing nations.

On another note according to Fox News Guatamala has a murder rate twice as high as Mexico's and even less effective criminal prosecution.

I admire Calderon and his stance and hope a leftist government does not win the 2012 election.

7. KTDLP

KTDLP Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel safer in Cancun than I do in my hometown of Chicago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice