Shipping Animals to the USA

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Kris in Cancun, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys! Hope this finds you all doing well in Cancun! Some of you know that Carlos and I moved back to The States last summer. It has been a long process, but we are finally ready to have our dogs shipped to us! I know that quite a few on the forum have done it before...so, would like to ask for any/all helpful info on this process.

We have a Poodle and a Malix, who we rescued out of a pothole as a puppy, right before we were approved to come back to the States. Our dogs have been with friends in San Luis Potosi, but it is time to bring them home.

Has anyone shipped dogs as Cargo? Anything special needed besides health/rabies certificates?

I am sure I can search the site, but between getting us into a house, my husbands perm. residence papers, etc...I am up to my eyeballs in info needed!! I sure appreciate any help/info you guys can offer.

Its 25 degrees in Texas today...hope you are all warm!!!

Kris

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey.

Not sure if SL Potosi have any restrictions on heat/cold, but other than that, a certificate of health(letter that states that "X animals is healthy and approved for airtravel") written and signed by the vet, along with the vets official "stamp"/seal and the vets number(Not sure about the term, but its the "license number", so to speak).

Rabies is a must from previous experiences.

When Ive sent strays to new homes in US/Canada, Ive made sure to include ALL kinds of parasitic test results.

I got most info of the US/Canadian customs websites, but the issue(if any) has always been on the Mexican side, where they bitch about papers etc. One has asked for more than the custom website states, but others havent even glanced at the pile of papers, haha.

Basically try to cover EVERYTHING to prove that the animal/s is/are healthy and up to date on their shots.

Also, do NOT give them any sedatives, although it sometimes sounds like a great idea. Have witnessed dogs that have suffocated during the trip :(

Another great tip regarding the letters: Try to get them in as many languages as possible. I did Spanish, English and French, just to be sure.

Sorry if its a bit messy - its soooo easy to be honest. Once youve done it one time, its like riding a bike. :)

Best of luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice