shipped boat last year

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancunroberto, Sep 21, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, it wouldn't cost anything to go talk to one of those folks Spin suggests. There have to be (well, one would think) rules on temporary permits for importing boats. There are for cars. You might go to the Banjericito website and see what you can find. That is how I knew what to do with my car years ago. But the guy you talk to (from the Spin post) should probably have a copy of the regulations that you could translate and read. Or go to the Banjercito office in Pto Juarez and ask questions.

But ask all of the questions:
    1. I have a car in my name with a temp permit. Can I also have a boat?
    2. Can my husband have a car in his name while I have a car in my name too?
    3. Can we each have a boat?
    4. Can we each have a boat and a car?
    5. How do I nationalize a car if it is over 10 years old?
    6. Is it still 10 years, and nothing newer, as the NAFTA says different?
    7. Re 6, why is this?
    etc
    etc
    etc.

Play like you are a Mexican with your kid at Burger King on a Saturday morning. Ask everthing about every single item on the kids menu? Then ask to see one of every toy that comes with them. Then ask if this one toy only comes in red or can you get it in blue. Then ask your kid what he or she wants. When they ask you questions, then you ask the BK employee. Then ask your kid what he or she wants to eat. Or what they want God forbid as this process never ends. Then after you order, change not only the food, but change the manzana to naranja too. Then change the toy. Then get the hell out of my way so I can get my breakfast burrito and a diet coke. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I think I am going crazy.

2. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    JAJAJAJAJA.....that'd work!

Execpt that, if BOTH husband and wife are FM-3 holders, the answer to the first 5 questions is YES. Each holder of an FM-3 is entitled to a car and (at least) 1 boat. Like I said, I have been told 2 boats, but took that with a grain of salt.

So there's your solution! If you both are FM-3 holders, you can each have a boat! Done deal.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, Sr. Knot,

I guess that is a summation of what Spin, you and I have said.

I think I need to take issue with your post though, regarding FM3's. You can have the Permiso de Importacion Temporal as long as your FM3 is valid. But an FM3 is not a requiement, not that you specifically said that.

BUT, if you have an FMT, or Tourist Card, you can still bring in a car, and presumably a boat, and obtain a Permiso, but only for the term of your FMT, which can be up to 180 days.

Welcome to the board by the way.

4. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, TJ, and you're right. But with an FMT, the permiso is only valid for the life of that FMT (max 6 months?) But with an FM-3, you can get one for 10 years.....at least that's what mine sez.

5. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I agree with TJ, I have brought 3 different cars and a boat into Mexico in 21 years and Have used a Customs Broker to legalize our boat. Like I said it was painless. You can talk to a broker to find out what or how much you can legally bring in.

6. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    banjerciti

wrote them in english they wrote back in english!!they said its a go!!! car and boat fine!!thankyou to all who always help me. now once i get there it would be nice to meet you!!kathy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice