shipped boat last year

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancunroberto, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I asked the same question at aduana in Matamoros. I was told that one could have 2 boats on one permiso by one agent. I don't know how you would get another sticker. I think he meant to say that one might be able to get 2 permisos per visa/person. .....unlike automobiles, where we are limited to just one vehicle. Then again, I was asking about a canoe, which had no motor. My bonefish skiff was already here in Veracruz.

I want to remind you that Mexico is notorious for mis-information, and you will likely get another story, elsewhere. I still run into people who look at my vehicle papers (which say 2007) and think my permiso has expired. Maybe they were just fishing for a bribe.

Originally, I thought you were asking about getting a larger boat here, and not just for the permiso. And my opinion regarding that, is that if this new boat approaches 30 ft. in length, you should consider running the boat over from Key West, to Isla Mujeres, instead of trailering it over these Mexican roads. There are literally scores of boats that flotilla to Cozumel/Isla Mujeres, every year, and the thing to do is join one of those. I won't go into more detail, just in case you're talking about a much smaller boat. But if not, you can e-mail me for more info.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey windknot.

Where would you fuel up along the way from Key West? I think it is about 180 or so nautical miles and that would take a pretty big tank not to stop for fuel in Cuba. Or where?

Thanks

3. Windknot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ...It's more like 350 miles from Key West to Isla Mujeres, and many of the big sportfishers have that kind of range in their inboard tanks. It depends on what the boat was built for, ....when it was built. However, many boats also bring bladder tanks, or 55 gal drums, and fill them in Key West, before leaving. Additionally, a relatively new tactic is to cruise at about 10 knots for about 10 hours, and that really saves on the fuel consumption, and in many cases, allows a boat with marginal fuel capacity in the mains, to make it all the way without putting extra fuel on deck, which can be dangerous.

But the most important thing is to go as a group, unless you are in a really big boat with multiple back-up systems for everything on board. There are several of these groups that leave Key West (King's Pointe Marina..formerly Oceanside Marina) every Spring for the Isla/Cozumel sailfish run. I was a light tackle guide out of that marina for 14 years...I've seen them come and go for years.

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Or you can just ship it over with Hyde Shipping.

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good info Rick.

My bad on the small number. My mind was somewhere else.

6. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    customs broker

found customs broker at port everglade jp reynolds. they swear there going to do it!!!!!!! sound right to you guys????thank you all

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy,

If you are thinking of Port Everglades, just ship it through www.hydeshipping.com and they handle everything. I have shipped cars through them and remember you and I corresponded about this a couple of years ago.

My friend Brian shipped a boat with Hyde and it went great.

You don't need a Customs Broker in my opinion. With Hyde you get the boat or vehicle to them, with the title, and with your ID. They deal with US Customs on the export and ship it to Pto Morelos. You go to Av. Mojarras which is the first street right off Nader after Coba. Hyde's customs broker gives you the title and paid bill of lading. Then you are off to Banjercito for your Permiso, then on to Pto Morelos to get your boat or car.

8. Windknot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy....I'm not sure you need ...much less WANT a customs broker!!!!! Cancun has an especially bad reputation, where the port is concerned. Naturally, for some things, like bringing in your furniture on a freighter, you would need a customs broker. And I suppose you would need one if you shipped the boat over on a freighter. Is that what you're going to do?

Can you be more specific? How big is this boat, and how are you planning on getting it here?

9. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i did all that tj thats the problem i already have a boat here in cancun but its small so its the new one i am worried about once it gets to puerto morales will i be able to get another temorary permisso?? hydes great!! just trying to find out once the boat arrives am i going to be able to get the sticker in puerto juarez

10. Windknot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OOPS!!! ..TJ and I posted simultaneously. But to repeat....Stay away from Customs brokers if at all possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice