shark phobia- help

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by rrobertsjowen, Jan 30, 2007.

1. rrobertsjowen

rrobertsjowen Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This probably sounds really dumb, but I have an irrational fear of sharks. I really want to snorkel or even try some diving of sorts.. Please could you reassure me that the chances of me coming across a shark are minimal!! :oops:

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think you'd have a better chance of seeing barracuda...you have a phobia of those fish?

3. Rondo

Rondo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With over 100+ dives in the area I've only been around nurse sharks,they are basically big catfish that sleep on the bottom and aren't dangerous.

I've only seen about 20 nurse sharks and they were all at 50+ ft. of depth,we actually hope to see them while diving.

I've snorkeled the area also for years even before I was a diver and never saw even a nurse shark,they just don't hang out at shallow 10- 20 ft. depths.

Once many years ago while snorkeling I thought I saw a baby nurse shark about a foot long but can't be sure.

Short answer, NO you won't even see a shark.much less contact one.

The greatest danger in Cancun waters is panic, fear, and a vivid immagination. :wink:

Enjoy a peaceful snorkel trip :D

4. rrobertsjowen

rrobertsjowen Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for that piece of reassurance, but if you hear of anyone being eaten alive whilst snorkeling , let me just say-in advance, "I told you so"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s if nobody hears any more from me its because it was me that was eaten alive!! thanx :lol:

5. Dive Pro

Dive Pro Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just like Rondo says it is very hard due to cancuns warm and shallow waters. I recommend you check out either discovery channels or surf the web, about sharks, they are not man eating machines, attacks are generally on surfers mistaken for seals, not divers ever. When diving at other places, it is even exiting to see them. Dont let this fear not allow you to enjoy the wonderful diving world.

6. osiferrick

osiferrick Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    yes, its like a whole different world down there.....so peaceful. When i went last time I was there....the thought didnt even cross my mind....i think you forget about sharks once you start to see all the other sea life down there....

7. Cancun007

Cancun007 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most divers (including myself) believe seeing a shark during a dive is a real treat. A special occurance since encounters are quite rare. On a dive on the back wall of Malikini (Hawaii) there was a 6 foot White Tip shark that hovered around for over 20 minutes - what a fantasic creature !!

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree.....the only sharks you are guaranteed to run across during your visit to Cancun are the timeshare sharks.....they are much more a danger to you and your wallet than any shark you will find in the water.

Michelle

9. nitram72

nitram72 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My concern is barracuda. are attacks on humans common while snorkeling?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice