Shark attack

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by jrberton, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not trying to be insensitive to anyone, but when you go to any beach in most of the world, you have to be aware of the Ocean and what is lurking in it. Why are you nervous? There have been shark attacks from NJ to FL, California and Hawaii. I wish people would not use these unfortunate happenings as another reason not to come to Cancun. What are the chances of it happening to you? I have been here over a year and have yet to go in the ocean. Honestly, of all the ppl on the beach, I never see a whole lot in the water. It's very sporadic, and I am on the beach at least 6 days a week.

2. Princess015690

Princess015690 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    im a little hesitant to go in far.. the sharks seem so close to the surf.. I read somewhere the because of the BP Oil spill it is pushing sharks closer to shore lines as well.

3. Scoobie

Scoobie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well obviously Zero chance if you don't go in the ocean.

If it's too dangerous to go in the water then that's fine; put signs up on the beach making that clear and those who had the mistaken view that it was a beach destination where they can safely swim can be properly informed that's not the case.

Before these events I think there had been one isolated attack in 20+ years. Now there have been two in the same area in knee-deep water.
    The last attack had three sharks sighted right next to the beach.

Seems a cause for concern to me!

I would think it's obvious why that might make me nervous.

I didn't realise that should be considered normal!
    Tell me, in the year you have been here have you found it common to see sharks together just off the beach?

I wish I had known that is what I should normally expect before I booked my trip...

4. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scoobie, are you being serious? If you would have know about sharks, that habitate in the Ocean all over the world, you may have gone elsewhere? Where, Wisconsin???? And for the record, where the sharks have been spotted, 99% of the time there are red flags flying. That means dangerous waters, be super careful when you enter. And there are signs posted to tell you that.
    You took two sentences I wrote and mooshed then together. I do not go in the water. I have not seen a shark with my two eyes and I am there more then most people on these boards as I work on the beaches and at hotel pools. I will reiterate my point.... there are sharks all over the world. If you go to a beach destination, it's safe to assume there are some sharks lurking around somewhere. What are the chances of YOU getting bite? And why should that be your motive to go someplace else?

5. backs13

backs13 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I agree with ya Tori, obviously the shark attacks are something to watch for and for Safety panels to look at, however I just read an article that states more 80 people have died in mexico from falling over low railings, thats almost 3 times the number of shark attacks, yet the media focuses on the sharks because of the "Jaws" factor and knowing it will create a buzz. The east coast of the united states has 5 times the attacks of almost any where in the world, yet its Cancun people tend to focus on...

6. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't comment anymore then I do about the number of people that DIE from the current in the very same ocean. People go out for a swim, and they drown. Not paying attention to the flags can and will cost you your life if you are not careful, sober and alert. Sharks are seriously the least of your worry when entering the caribe side of the hz.

7. Scoobie

Scoobie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yes I am being serious.
    I think you missed the point about the unusual trend of sharks being drawn right up to the beach recently.

Before these recent attacks I had read on lots of forums how they were so rare it could never happen again and how most people (even those who had lived there) had said they had never seen sharks any where near the beach in all the years they live there.

There have now been two (uncharacteristic) attacks in ths same place with a number of sightings of sharks right next to the shore - and all of a sudden it is normal. Someone was also attacked in Porto Morelos last week. Of course I know sharks live in the sea; that doesn't mean I expect them to being sighted and attacking attacking people right off the beach which hasn't happened before.

I beg to differ that this is normal from what I have read (just go and look at previous comments on trip advisor etc by locals and experts etc about sharks) and as such it is a matter of concern as to why this is happening and denotes an extra risk.

So yes I am being serious and can't see why people are so keen to trivialise it.

8. Brendaf

Brendaf Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My dear friend Luibov (Luba) needs our help!!! She was bitten by a shark in cancun Mexico last Thursday and is now laying in the cancun hospital general. She is in desperate need of financial donations to pay for a surgery to save her leg. The media made it sound like she had just a small bite but infact it is 2 very large bites on the lower part of her calf. Luba is a 26 year old from Russia that was studying in mexico. She has... no medical insurance as she has been there for over 6 months. She is a very loving, caring, and kind person. She is so full of life. Her passions in life are swimming, running, biking, music, dancing and she is a champion skier so losing her leg would effect her life dramatically. I have never meet anyone more full of life then this beautiful women. The cost of the surgery is 200,000 pesos $17,000 Canadian so anything you can donate for my dear friend would be more than appreciated even $5 would help!!! If you could please talk to your family and friends and share this story maybe they could donate something as well. She has to have this surgery within the next 2 days so please help soon. Her name is Luibov (Luba) Teran she is in the Cancun hospital called the Hospital General or you can contact Jose in Playa at 984-133-2592. I am hoping that if we can get even a small donation that there will be enough caring people that we can make a difference in how this tradgedy turns out. God Bless all of You and may God protect you all. Thanks Brenda

9. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got your point, and never did I say it was normal for here in Cancun. I said in general,world wide, and it's something that sits in the back of my head. The weather here has been unseasonably warm for this time of year, it's not normal, but things from time to time change, and we have to accept change.
    None of what has happened makes me think vacationing in Cancun is less safe, and I am sure there are people looking into exactly why the sharks have appeared. And possible how to deal with it and not hurt the sharks.

Brendaf, so very sorry to hear about your friend Luba. I hope you can raise as much money as you can so she gets the help she needs. If I had the means, I would certainly help. I will for sure keep her in my thoughts.

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On a side note: The pics show a strong surf and red flags... That, to me, is enough to be extra cautious.

In 4 years of living here, I have never heard of any attacks until now.

These attacks, like the majority of them, seem to be a "mistaken identity", where the shark "tries out" what it encountered. (If only they had hands...)

After the first attack, fishermen massacred over 70 sharks. Im hoping no such retarded action is taken this time.

I hope the lady ends up well, but I also hope that the sharks be left alone.

They inhabit the sea and have done so for "quite a while" - we are the guests.

Ps. Between these two attacks, I know of +7 cases of drowning in the same beaches...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice