Sending money...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Mar 8, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried bankwire, until I found out that Banorte charged me twice(!!) as much as Western Union for the same amount, pus that their so called staff are crankier than nothing Ive ever seen.

Then I tried Paypal - went great, fast and cheap = now its my 1st choice :)

2. campalex310

campalex310 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You cant send money FROM Mexico to Canada on moneygram.

The Moneygram locations here only receive money transfers....they dont send them.

3. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure about sending to Canada from here, but yes, you can send money FROM Mexico to other countries.

Ive both sent to and received from Sweden.

I used Koppel on Avenida Tulum.

4. campalex310

campalex310 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think youre talking about using western union at coppel

its moneygram that wont allow you to send from here...all the walmarts here only recieve moneygram transfers..

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yesterday I went with a friend to help her pick up some money sent from Amsterdam via MoneyGram. It was to be picked up at CI Banco.

Big Problem - It was sent to, for example, Maria Gonzalez, while her ID shows Maria Gonzalez Lopez.

CI Banco would not give her the money, in spite of her having the sender's name, the amount of the payment, the confirmation number and the clave, the unique number needed for the release of the money.

Failing to obtain the money at the CI Banco at Plaza Americas, we went out to Plaza Kukulcan and failed there as well.

Failing that, we went to Condusef, the agency for consumer protection that is similar to Profeco but for financial institution complaints and problem resolutions.

No dice. Her only alternative is to contact the person in Amsterdam and have them correct or change the delivery instructions to include her second last name.

The excuse given by CI Banco was that any Maria Gonzalez could show up and demand this money. When asked how that could happen in the absence of any of the security information, this idiot just shrugged her shoulders.

Welcome to Mexico.

Bottom line is that if you are receiving money here, make sure the sender sends it in your name exactly as it is on your identification.

6. Trina

Trina Cancuncare Staff Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yes, a friend of mine ran into the same problem. The person sending the $ has to put it in the name EXACTLY like it is on your passport or ID.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, Moneygram - not WU :)

Never used Wal Mart here for any kind of money transfer, so cant comment on that.

CIBANCO in Plaza La Isla(HZ) supposedly still has the sending option for Money Gram, as well as Coppel on Ave Tulum.

EDIT: Accodring to MoneyGram Mexico(webite), Banorte in Plaza Flamingos, CIBANCO Plaza Forum etc. still have sending cash as an option. Looks like most of the CIBANCO´s have that option, though Ive never used them. Have no clue where they are.

8. Don&Olga

Don&Olga Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    hmmm that is a good question about money transfers...we have immigrant workers here (Canada) from Mexico and they transfer money home all the time. I should chat one of them up one day and asked them about that.

9. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why do you all bother with all these second rate transfers when PayPal is just a click away and cheap? It's so easy even I can do it.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Must be with a personal account not a business one. A paypal business account charges 3.7% and then screws you on the currency exchange.

Only ever sent money from the UK to Mexico not the other way, but bank wire transfer has always worked best for me.

£17.50 charge for up to £10,000 at mid market exchange rate. 3.7% on £10,000 via Paypal is £370.00 plus the loss on exchange rate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice