Selling your catch?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Caribbean_Expat, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Caribbean_Expat

Caribbean_Expat Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok my friend is wanting to know if it's possible to sell your catch from a fishing trip to a fish market? Ive saw on a few guide sites online the estimated value of the catch, do people usually sell their catches to a market or something?

and what are the laws on shark fishing, are there certain types you can keep and others not?

2. Mojito

Mojito Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry this won't answer your question, but I have a "fishing" story that our family frequently jokes about. My husband, father and two brothers-in-law - all non-fishermen - went deep sea fishing while we were on holiday at an all inclusive in Punta Cana. The guys decided it would be a new experience for all of them to rent a fishing charter boat that was docked in front of our resort. After an afternoon of fishing, the guys came back from an exciting and tiring afternoon -- having caught about 10 very large fish that also fought very hard. They asked their guides if they could bring the fish to the hotel restaurant and have the chef cook the fish for our families. The guide said in broken english "no, no, no! Es Dorado, es dorado. Dorado no good eat" We said Ok and left ... although we were curious because -- after the guys were finished taking pics with the big fish - we saw the guides gutting the fish and wrapping them up.

Later that evening, we had a good laugh when we saw that the fish special at the "buffet restaurant" was DORADO. Delicious...

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Given that there are fishing cooperatives here I kind of doubt you can sell your catch, unless you sell it to a fisherman who is in the coop. I don't really know, but I think the coop members are the only people who can sell their catches.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's obvious from your question that you realize attempts are being made to protect sharks. Do you know why? Once you've seen a Japanese or Chinese trawler drag in a line with hundreds of hooked sharks, seen the workmen on deck slicing off the dorsal fins of these animals and then throw the still alive but mutilated animal back into the sea, why would you kill yet another one? What possible reason is there to kill a shark?

From http://www.shark.ch/Preservation/EndangeredSharks/index.html
    1-more than 100 out of 400 shark species are being commercially exploited
    2-many of these shark species are so overexploited that even their long-term survival can no longer be guaranteed
    3-a serious monitoring and control program is lacking for international shark trade.
    4-201 species are on the "Red List" facing extermination.

From http://www.aquanet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=177&Itemid=44
    Sharks have come under increasing fishing pressure since the early 1980s. In the United States this was partly due to a revival in the shark fishery as a way to encourage use of this "underutilized" food source. More recently, Asian markets that offered up to $200 US per pound for shark fins has also provided strong financial incentives for fishermen.

Off the Southeast coast of the United States, the NMFS (National Marine Fishery Service) estimates that between the early 1970s and late 1980s, there has been a decline of up to 80% abundance in many shark species.

Sorry, I don't call this sport. I call it participation in extermination and murder. I was a sport fisherman for years, but I've even given up on fishing for bonefish, as the populations on certain Florida reefs have been depleted.

Learn to dive. Buy a camera. That way you'll have an image of an animal that may become extinct within your own lifetime.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bravo Mix!

6. Caribbean_Expat

Caribbean_Expat Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    look man im not out looking to catch 100 sharks and fin them, Im totally with you on that. But IDK if you know about the huge migrations of sharks from certain areas around mexico and believe me they are plentiful and me catching 5-10 to keep FOR FOOD isn't going to damage the population.

BTW whoever got told that Dorado(mahi mahi, dolphinfish) is actually an expensive fish. Here in the US, it goes from 10-15US dollars per lb. I understand that Cancun an ocean city so if sold wholesale to a fisherman as rivergirl stated. maybe 5US, im not really sure. I do know that tuna is very expensive and worth allot of money. My point is that I know you can do this and actually make money

yeah the person that got ganked on the Mahi should read this.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/newsletter/062506/

I hate fly fishing personally I think its stupid and slow. I mainly posted that for the opening line

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And what part of a shark are you keeping "for food"? Settling in for a long winter diet of shark liver and shark fin soup? Cartilidge stew? Or maybe making a shark skin suit?

What you don't seem to realize is that you are not an individual. You are part of a population. It's not you alone killing 5 to 10 fish. It's you multiplied by every other nimrod that kills for pleasure that contirbutes to the "damage", as you put it.

As far as predating on the migratory stream, read this article, which begins with"Shark Superhighways And Hotspots May Offer Insight Into Saving Sharks
    ScienceDaily (Feb. 23, 2008) — The world's sharks are disappearing. These fearsome yet charismatic fish continue to fall victim to overfishing and many are now at risk of extinction as a result. New research shows that open-ocean sharks are particularly threatened from overfishing, and other work shows that the deeper sharks live, the longer it takes for their populations to recover. Yet researchers are just now learning critical details of their behavior, including the fact that some species migrate quickly along "superhighway" routes and congregate at established "stepping stone" sites." You can read the rest at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080217133255.htm .

The point is, every shark kill adds to the carnage, no matter how few are killed. If you are of the mindset that shooting fish in a barrel is fun, there's obviously nothing I can say to dissuade you. And keeping that point in mind, don't bother to answer or start a flame war, because I've said what I have to say and won't contribute anything else.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mix1 is, of course, right! It's not ethical for you to fish for shark. Don't do it. Learn to scuba dive so you can enjoy the fish that are out there, before overfishing destroys any more fish populations.

9. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mix is right, can you imagine if everyone says the same.... oh 5-10 sharks is not a big deal :roll:

Anyway, sharks or birds or any other animal killing is NOT a sport for me, it is just that... Killing! And no, I am not vegetarian, but I see a difference between buying meat that my body needs (and I don't eat a lot) and going to kill them for so-called fun. Just my opinion.

10. GCPSgirl

GCPSgirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know Cunspin's husband brings in the catch when he goes out fishing and you can find it on the menu that evening. Of course they own the restaurant, but many times the catch of the day is exactly that!!! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice