Selling a Car Question -Tricky

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Oct 4, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PLEASE HELP if you can. I have never run across this question before but this one applies to me.

MISSION:
    How can I most easily sell my 2002 (very low mileage) car that I have here in Cancun?

BACKGROUND:
    I have an FM3, the car is less than 10 years old, is registered in Florida, I have a current Permiso de Importacion Temporal, and I have contacted Johndish, who sold an over 10 year old car to a Mexican citizen by going to Chetumal. John's deal will not work for me due to the age of my car.

Since my car is not old enough to be nationalized am I limited to selling it to someone with an FM3, or someone who needs a car here but comes and goes on an FMT?

In John's case, the buyer got something from her attorney that was acceptable to Aduana/Banjercitor or whomever.

In my case, I am wondering how an FM3 or FMT buyer could register the car in the U.S. without the car being there. I know that for the 2 cars that I have imported, I have had to provide a registration as part of the importing process. But maybe there is a way around this, especially if I can find a buyer who has an FM3.

If I was in the US I would be concerned about getting the title out of my name and registered in the name of the new buyer but I am not sure if this is equally important to me here.

IS THERE A PRACTICAL SOLUTION AVAILABLE?
    Maybe i could title it in my daughter's name before the next time she comes to visit, and then get the Permiso in her name and drive it myself since I am close relative, and then bring another car in titled to me, which is what I really want to do in the first place.

I hope someone has a simple answer or can come up with some creative thinking or paper shuffliing option that works for me.

Thanks in advance,
    T.J.

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ, can't really answer you questions, but I am looking for an SUV, what are you selling and I am on an FM3,

Maybe we can work around the problems.

let me know quick as my wife is gonna put an enganche down on a brand new one tonight!!

save my bank account from extinction TJ!

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my suv

A PM is being sent to you.

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you get my PM reply T.J? cuanto?

5. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know someone who recently sold their US Registered car to another
    FM-3 holder. They both went to the Aduana/Banjercitor. The seller turned in their sticker. The car's titled had been signed over to the buyer. The buyer then applied for their importation stricker. All went smoothly.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Frank,

1. Do you know if the car was more or less than 10 years old?

2. Do you know which Aduana/Banjercito office they went to?

3. Do you know if the title itself was actually reregistered in a state in the U.S. so that it got all the way out of the Seller's name?

4. Is it possible that you could put me in touch with the Seller so that I may play "20 questions" in order to have all my ducks in a row at the appropriate time?

Thanks,
    T.J.

7. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fm3

TJ,

My situation was the same.... I sold a 97 dodge in 2006. technically by their count not ten years...

the person i sold to was a foreigner....

it is so easy... you go you give your sticker you get a reciept (this allows you to import another) and you go back to cancun...

this transaction is rumored to be so difficult but was the easiest thing i did in mexico.... you cant sell to a mexican but you can sell to a foreigner. the key is you need the reciept for your sticker back. I have done twice....

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Wouldn't it be easier to ship it (or drive it) back to the States and sell it there. Then buy a Mexican registered car?

Selling a car is not that simple in itself, but you've got a limited pool of buyers and anyone who buys it is going to be in the same situation when they want to sell it on. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,

There are at least 3 answers to your question/suggestion to sell the car back in the US.

1. It would cost about $800 USD to ship it back to the US. Driving is out of the question due to distance, time, etc.

2. The buyer in the US would have to pay 7% sales tax on the price paid.

3. Cars in Cancun are more valuable than the same car is the US. In other words, they cost more. And SUVs and small trucks are in good demand here.

But thanks for your post.

10. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    steve and t.j.,

The process once you get to chetumal takes all of 5 minutes. I fail to understand why people think this is so difficult.............. again i have done it twice you have everything you need to do it in your glove box.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice