Security Deposit

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by doggs47, Apr 2, 2019.

1. doggs47

doggs47 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +184 / 0
    I saw a lot more than just 2 cases yesterday. People who had just checked into the hotel already noticed charges of their cards after a few days. Again, I never blamed the hotel. I simply asked if a CC was a must to check in. I just want to play it safe. My cards will be protected from scanning devices at the airport and I don’t want to risk one bad apple working behind the check in counter. I’d do the same at any hotel anywhere in the world if this problem was happening.

I also find it funny that half the people commenting on other forums mention it being 300$ security deposit. Others say 200$ while others say they have never been asked for a card ever. Why so many different scenarios for check in?

I’m still super excited about going back to Temptation. Sorry if I offended anybody by asking a simple question. I’m by no means bad mouthing Temptation. This could be happening at Disney as well lol.

2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,163 / 7
    I don't think you bad mouthed or offended. I think it is a valid thread and like you said "on other forums mention it being 300$ security deposit. Others say 200$ while others say they have never been asked for a card ever. Why so many different scenarios for check in?" Makes it all a pain in the ass to fully understand.

3. wild1s

wild1s Naughty 'n Nice Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,878 / 9
    This is Sam. The best thing is to get a credit card that has added security measures. The new CapitalOne Venture card has a chip and no numbers on the front of the card. When something is charged, I immediately get a text. If I didn't make the charge, I can void the transaction immediately. Never had a problem. I'm sure other companies have them as well.

As for a deposit upon arrival, it is like any other hotel where they put a hold on a card to cover anything that you charge to the room. I supose you could refuse to do that and they would not allow charges to be made, but it would be a bit inconvenient. We have been to TTR 19 times and never had an issue.

I would not use a debit card internationally period. You have less protection than a credit card.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  4. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    I wouldn't recommend using a debit card at any place ever, you are setting your self up to have all your personal banking information available to anyone.

T

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  5. Garry n Jo

Garry n Jo Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 9
    We were charged a $200.00 deposit on both trips April 2018 and March 2019 but nothing was hacked. If it is a consern I would get a prepaid credit card and just put $300.00 on it that way they cant hack anything. I did that once in Cabo with a fishing trip I was worried my Debit card would be hacked and it worked just fine.

6. wild1s

wild1s Naughty 'n Nice Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,878 / 9
    And keep in mind, that is not a charge, it is a hold. Once you check out, the actual charges are put on your card. The hold is to assure the hotel that you will have at least $300 of available credit remaining on your card when you check out.

7. M&MfromLA

M&MfromLA Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +581 / 0
    My day job/ career is in a management capacity at Experian the credit bureau.

In all honesty..."bad things" happening when you credit card is stolen or used fraudulently is a very well designed scare tactic by the CC company. You could have your card stolen in front of you at the front desk and you wouldnt be liable for a damn thing. Call CC company (within 30 days) tell them it was stolen and get a new card in a week. Charges are removed.

CC companies dont investigate losses like consumers think they do. No time or resources. Worst case would be you simply filling out an affidavit and sending it in...if you're even asked for one at all.

I've had my CC's stolen or recieved fraudulent charges probably 15 times in my life. Never paid a dime and disputes were easy peasy. Trust me...having a cc stolen is a super slight inconvenience at worst for the consumer. Does it make you upset....I guess if you care enough about money that isnt even yours to begin with it would :). Rest easy if yours gets stolen. Seriously

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice