Security Deposit

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by doggs47, Apr 2, 2019.

1. JBW

JBW Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +275 / 4
    Use an American Express card if you have one and you'll be good! I never worry about where i use my AMEX card because they're just so damn good with fraud stuff and always do an A+ taking care of their customers if anything goes wrong...

2. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    This seems to pop up every few months or so, normally based on one facebook post. In my experience of 8 trips, I have never had to give them a credit card deposit, and I never plan to.

3. hotfitcpl

hotfitcpl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    We were there last Sept and had to do a credit card security deposit. Got the receipt back when we checked out. Went to the airport and paid for our bags with same credit card at the interjet check in. 45 minutes later got a call from card company asking if we had rung up 2 charges totalling 900USD. Had to have been the airport agent is all we can figure, or maybe hotel staff waiting for our flight to leave before charging. Cant be sure of course who is at fault. Charges did get reversed after 10 minute phone call. Fortunately we were still in the airport drinking when they called.

Hotel deposit and airport were the only places we used the card.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +637 / 0
    Ours was 200.00 (march 19th)with no extra charges on it

5. doggs47

doggs47 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +184 / 0
    Maybe because they know you so well? There isn’t just a couple of cases, I’ve been reading numerous card frauds. I’m not blaming the hotel, it could be airport related also, but it’s not something that should happen repeatedly with people going to the same resort.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    If they knew me as well as they should, they would change me double ;)

I get it though, ff you are concerned about fraud and using your card. One solution would be to buy a $300 pre-paid Visa gift card (make sure you can use it internationally, cause I know with some you can't). I bet that would swipe and work just like a CC for a deposit, and then later when it clears when you didn't use it, just pay a bill or go food shopping with it. (in fact I might just go and do this just to be safe, and then use it down there if needed).

7. Deleted member 40096

Deleted member 40096 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When we checked in 3 days ago i handed them my card and they told me it wasnt needed. So its a hit and miss whem you check in. Personally i dont trust using my CC in Mexico anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13

I too have never had an issue with 10 trips or so to Cancun and 8 to TTR.
    But decided to wise up and not take all my cards this time.
    I typically call all the companies and notify them of when I will be in Cancun so they can watch for suspicious activity and also not block all the transactions.
    I do take a couple thousand cash for tips and Rayanne’s shopping sprees though....lol.
    But also like to have debit and or credit cards handy just in case they haul my drunk as to the Mexican pound me in the ass prison...you neva know!
    Slso for that dreaded medical emergency when they extort you for cash!

So today purchased a international Visa travel card from my credit union.
    But they are also available at Banks, etc.
    Note there is a difference between the gift cards which cannot be used internationally and the travel cards which can be.
    I loaded a Visa debit card with $500 and it cost $9.95.
    It expires in Sept 2021 and can be reloaded by phone or internet via security measures for $3.95 each time.
    So it was worth it to me to only potentially lose up to $500 for the associated cost and convenience.
    It is also replaceable if lost or stolen.

I will use it for the $200 room security deposit for pending “incidentals”.
    Have had to leave it last three trips.
    I was like WTF, I know ScubaSteve!!!
    Didn’t help and they will not take cash.
    So you need a card.
    They did not take Discover.
    Only Visa, Mastercard, and ‘Mercan Express.

No charges to date though so it has not cost us anything.
    Be sure to tip your housekeeper/maid well to avoid being charged for such incidentals like very soiled/stained sheets snd towrls, etc.
    Also be sure mattress does not get stained.
    I point these out because we have friends whom have been charged.

Also purchased one of the Rf security wallets as another just in case.
    Word is you can simply keep your credit cards wrapped in aluminum foil ( for us old fucks...tin foil) and it protects the cards from walk by scanners.
    But a pain in the ass to have to unwrap cards to use.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I saw two claims on Facebook, but seems like many think it is some kind of epidemic.

There was zero evidence that it had anything to do with Temptation.

But, you know, Facebook is a place to complain. You wont find much positivity there.

10. Joe&Heidi

Joe&Heidi Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +324 / 6
    It's impossible to tell where it comes from. We haven't ever been asked for a CC on check-in. Always on check-out. I just don't understand all these complaints, every time a fraudulent charge has appeared on one of my cards the bank takes care of it (usually before I even realize it). Is there anyone who is getting stuck paying for these charges?

Also, credit cards generally have more protection than debit cards, not to mention if money does get tied up, you're not out cash while they figure it out. Even checking into hotels on debit cards can be risky, since many hotels put an authorization hold on the card. With debit cards that means you lose access to that cash for a week or so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice