Seasonal, electric rate adjustment

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 27, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hilos

Hi, Mixz1. Thanks for the info about tariffs in the HZ.

I've wondered about "hilos", myself. Could it mean, "two lines" or even, "two phase"? We're wired, here, for both 110 and 220 Volts, and our bill also reads as yours does.

2. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've understood by asking around it means your residence is supplied with 2 main lines of power from the central source, allowing for higher peak capacity.

The only residences I've seen that have less than 2 hilos are very, very small residences that appear rather old. Across the street from us, the 1600 square foot luxury loft has 3 hilos listed on the bill. Seems to make sense??

As for Playa (and Puerto Morales) being 1-B and not 1-C like Cancun, it is technically based on average climate. Maybe we are slightly cooler than Cancun, but it would have to be ever so slightly IMHO. Definitely not enough to justify losing 500 kW/h of usage in subsidies per billing period.

Even with the higher electricity rate though, we've found we can stay cool and our electric bills are still the same or less than back in the US, so I guess we can't really complain.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure that 2 hilos means 220 and 1 hilo means 110, that's all. Lots of older houses here have 110 coming in. And you have to ask CFE to add that 2nd hilo.

4. coby

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That makes the most sense, but what would a 3 mean?? The loft across the street has a 3 under hilos on the bill -- it has a massive outdoor hot tub but I assume that would just use 220. I can't think of anything else I saw in it which would have a bigger draw (and would be surprised if you could even have more than a 220 hookup in a non-commercial residence.)

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    3 hilos... is 220v "3 phase" (as opposed to standard 220v which is called "single phase") used for certain equipment and air conditioners..

I think the point of having that 3rd line on some 220v applications, is to make it more efficient, although I couldn't tell you exactly why that works... something about allowing for a greater "down" alternation in the alternating current (AC)...

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have always heard that 3 phase is because there are 3 "hot" wires plus the ground wire. Each hot wire delivers 110 volts. Supposedly the 3 wires are thinner than the single phase 220 volts and therefore the equipment runs more efficiently. At least that's what my buddy tells me.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. coby

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interestingly enough, plastered all over the news tonight is the announcement that the CFE has just closed down Luz y Fuerza, an energy provider in Puebla (and other places) for illegal acts -- I haven't deciphered what that entails yet. The CFE is going to take over electricity distribution in the affected areas and is giving all of the employees now without jobs (except for the high level managers) severance pay.

I actually didn't realize you could get electricity in Mexico from any place but the CFE; of course now maybe you can't.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sure I'm not the only one to get this email from CFE. This is the tarifa chart for domestic 1-C use. Let's compare.

[​IMG]

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks about right.. unless you use less than 350 KW every TWO months, which is next to impossible, expect the bill to double.

If they billed monthly everyone's bill would be a lot less, but since they go for the bi-monthly scheme, its hard to avoid creeping into the higher price bracket, which of'course is by design. :evil:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice