Seasonal, electric rate adjustment

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 27, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    October 1 marks the beginning of winter electric rates. On that date, a large part of the government subsidy of electric rates is withdrawn, resulting in much larger bills for the same amount of electricity. In tariff class 1-C, for example, on a usage of 900 KWH, total, during the months of October and November, your bill would be approximately 1,879.22 pesos; whereas, the same usage in the months of August and September would have produced a bill of only about 791.09 pesos.

This seasonal adjustment of the subsidy can easily catch people off guard and give them a surprise if they are a modest consumer of electricity. (Ironically, this adjustment is less noticeable to those who use larger amounts of electricity because they are not experiencing the benefits of the subsidy to the same, proportionate degree.)

The CFE has brochures available in their offices which show the way the subsidies are applied, for those who might like further details.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,

Well, sort of. As it gets cooler most people cut back on their air conditioning and the bills net out at pretty much the same.

Great information, nonetheless.

I guess, though, if you are like me and decide to stay cool all the time, you get the mordida when you see the CFEmbill.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Comments about the cost of things, T.J., should, perhaps, bear a caption, "To whom it may concern"!!

The cost example I gave was of a very modest consumer of electricity who derives considerable benefit from the subsidies.

With electric rates in Mexico, the fun doesn't really start until you hit the dreaded, "DAC" tariff, imposed on those who habitually consume larger amounts of electricity. In that case, anywhere from 2.3-2.5 pesos/KWH is charged, with no subsidies of any kind applied to the bill.

For people who are home a lot, and like to keep their house/apt cool, it wouldn't be hard to use 2X the amount of electricity in the example, earlier; and, as I understand it, the customer would be put in tariff class DAC, as soon as their running average of consumption reached 1700 KWH/bimester (the two month billing period).

[This is the case in tariff class 1-C: I'm under the impression that it occurs at a much lower threshold for those in tariff class 1-B, at a running average of just 400 KWH/bimester. For those who take an interest in this sort of thing, you will understand that 400 KWH used, over a two month period of time, is an extremely small use of electricity, while 1700 KWH represents what could be called a modest usage.]

4. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in the high DAC rate for a couple of years and just noticed that on my last bill I had finally made it down to the 1B tarriff but I was charged at rate of 2.604 per KWH. that is the DAC rate I am sure. Can someone with a 1B rate tell me what their rate was?

Thanks,
    Frank

5. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are Tariff 1B as well, our rates (for the summer) are as follows:

First 250 kW/h = 0.597 per
    Next 150 kW/h = 0.896 per
    Excess of 400 kW/h = 2.369 per

The only really break you'll get versus the DAC is the first 400 kW/h of usage with Tariff 1B. After that, it should be the same rate as the DAC.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    1-C vs 1-B

Hi, Coby. I was hoping you'd help out here with some good, detailed 1-B info! (On several searches, I've yet to find the kind of tables, online, that you can get at the CFE offices, showing a breakdown of the charges at various levels of consumption, by season.)

As I understand it, you're in 1-B, if the average summer highs where you live are 31 degrees celcius, or less. I guess that means in Cancun we're just a little hotter, here, than where you are, Mellow.

These standards are applied all over the country, so there is no favoritism involved; but, it makes a positive difference, with lower rates for those who live in Cancun, and fall in tariff class 1-C.

Mixz1, or someone else who lives in the hotel zone, could you please help by confirming/denying that the hotel zone is also in tariff class 1-C? I gathered from posts from CancunMole that it is, but I'd like to confirm it, if possible, in case we want to consider living there, rather than in Cancun Centro, in the future.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: 1-C vs 1-B

Confirmed. We are in Tarifa 1-C.

8. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    does it state on your bill wha ttariff? I have a place in the HZ and all I see is tariffa HM and nothing about a 1-b or 1-c

9. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 1B VS 1C is confusing, since I live in Puereto Morelos and I don;t think it is cooler here than Cancun or Playa...Strange indeed

The rate is listed under tarifa on the bill

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's the header of the bill, personal info removed:
    [​IMG]

61 dias
    Tarifa 1-C
    2 Hilos

So who's going to explain what 2 hilos means?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice