Seafood Island??

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by tea_jay85, Dec 30, 2007.

1. tea_jay85

tea_jay85 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My friend recently went to cancun and said he got a boat out to an island near cancun and had a seafood buffet and coronas for like 30USD? Does anyone know where or if such place exists?
    Cheers,
    Tim

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That would be the Captain Hook Dinner Cruise to Isla Mujeres.

Click on the Entertaiment Plus link at the bottom of this page for info.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm, $30? I know Captain Hook is more like $70, so is the Caribbean Carnaval Cruises (they have a Caribbean night and a pirate night, for some reason I have done both of them in the last couple of months, playing tourist). The Funday tour is a day time booze cruise from the same Caribbean Carnaval folks.

So, the choices as I see them (though the prices are higher than you mentioned and there was some fish on the buffet but not a seafood buffet), are the Captain Hook, the Caribbean Carnaval or Funday.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I read it as the guy had caught a boat over there, then went somewhere for beers and seafood buffet that ran him $30. Ferry is $15 return and a buffet with beer for another $15 sounds about right.

Certainly it's not Captain Hook, as Kel mentions, it's more expensive plus it doesn't stop on the island, just sails the bay.

5. cindyinmpls

cindyinmpls Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recall there is a place that is near the bridge that many of the jungle tours and isla tours go thru. I cannot remember the place, but it is where locals sometimes swim.
    It is suppose to be really good seafood, and very reasonable.
    Maybe a local will come by and give some info.
    I can "see it" on the banks when I think of some of the tours.
    Good Luck, I will be watching this post.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cindy,

I have been to this place a couple of times but have no idea of its name. By boat, it is right where you say it is so easy to spot that way. I have been there by boat and by car.

By car we make a U-Turn after crossing the bridge in the Club Med area and go down a little road beside the waterway. I just looked at it on Google Maps but don't have sense enough to put it in a post here.

It is nothing great but it is good. Prices are so so, the beer is cold and the service is great. Just a unique getaway kind of place. Great suggestion but it is not what Sr. Tee Jay is looking for.

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tee Jay and Steve,

I was thinking along those lines too. The ferry from Gran Puerto and Puerto Juarez is $35 Mxn each way, or was 2 months ago. There you can take a cab, or rent a 4 seater golf cart or a moped and cruise around.

My preference is to go to Playa Lancheros, like where you turn left after going south or to Playa Tiburon, where at that same intersection, you go right to just past the Turtle Farm.

At both places we get shrimp ceviche and tix n chic and lots of cold beer, or micheladas and cheladas. Avoid the margaritas at Playa Tiburon as they just cannot get them right.

Sr. Tee Jay, tix n chic is a Yucatan delight. A big slab of white fish of different varieties, cooked on a wood burning grill and served with a slaw, some rice and tortillas. You make up your own tacos or just pull it off the bone with your fingers.

The fish is covered with achiote paste, which gives it the color as if it has been covered with paprika, but with flavor. Not spicy, just tasty.

I cannot go to Isla Mujeres without eating Tix n Chic.

8. tea_jay85

tea_jay85 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your help everyone ...

Steve - you read it right, he got a boat to an island separately and once there got a seafood buffet with all you can drink beers ....

Ill have to do some more snooping ...

TJ - that tix n chic? sounds pretty good, ill definately have to suss it out! thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,
    Tim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice