Sea Star sunk in front of my house **Pics added**

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Ana, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just saw this on TA: "Posted on: 10:43 am, today Save
    My son was one of the tourists aboard and he said the boat wasn't overfull. He said the back of the boat started sinking first and he was (fortunately) at the front. His guess was someone just forgot a plug. He didn't mention any noise. My (uneducated) guess is that the noise some heard was the engine being shut down when the crew realized they were taking on water. There evidently was some panic. His description was "It was like something out of a movie." He said he will stick to shopping and sunning for the rest of the visit."

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Ana and Jim.

So many different stories here. Some say she was snorkeling and was hit by the boat when it lost power, some say the boat was en route, some say the boat had a capacity of 85, some say 250. Who knows what we can believe??

I'm trying to keep family informed, any info would be appreciated, gossip or legit.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking at the pictures it seems that the benches on the top deck seat 5 per. Counting benches it looks like 60 seats on the top deck. If the bottom deck mirrors that it would make for 120 seats. If you make it 6 per bench it would work out to a total of 144. In any case 250 seems a but much for the available area.

Note this doesn't count standees nor crew. If someone gets close to the vessel maybe a count would solve that part of the mystery.

4. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was on the beach and watched this boat go out that day - it is funny, it is one of the nicer looking boats that float by...some can be real rust buckets. Anyway, I saw it go by and remarked to my wife how PACKED it was - I mean that boat was about as full as a booze cruise can get. When I read the paper the next morning I was not shocked.

5. Hilton Head Mom

Hilton Head Mom Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sea Star

Hi All..It's nice to be able to read about this incident as my son and 7 of his classmates from South Carolina were on this boat. My son and 2 others left Cancun Sunday (2 days early) and came home after this incident. Our kids stayed on the boat till everyone was off since the CREW bailed as soon as the ship started sinking. These boys helped all the girls to safety and made sure anyone that was in distress was put on a rescue vessel back to shore. My son was standing by the young lady that was injured watching them try to revive her....however GRADCITY assured him she was fine. Our continued phone calls and emails to GRADCITY have gone unanswered. Believe me...this isn't over. Any info on the boat would be appreciated as it is obvious by the pictures that this boat was way overloaded. I was advised they "gradcity" or the "boat operater" decided to combine 2 tours into one.

6. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Sea Star

I am gald to read that your son and relatives are OK. The boat operator can not combine 2 tours if the boat was rented to gradcity.

7. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lat minute information; Sea star is moving from in front our house to Isla Mujeres, right now.

I have it in pictures (if my daughters help me) coming soon.

8. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can someone clear this up for me. I heard two things , I heard tourist LIZA CHONG passed away and then I heard she is brain dead

I mean either way its tragic event . I just cant believe it happened

9. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to Galenia today, she is brain dead.

10. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks Ana . what a horrible ordeal. How did she have a cardiac arrest at such a young age?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice