Sea Lice

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ham23662, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ham23662

ham23662 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will be leaving to go to Cancun in less than 3 weeks, and was wondering if there has been any sea lice reported this season. I have read they they can be pretty nasty. On my last trip we didn't have the slightest problem with them, and hopefully that will be the case again this year.

Also, does the Wal-Mart in Cancun sell the cream that prevents you from having a problem, and if so does it work?

Thanks for the help!

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2019
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I havent heard of any outbreaks yet this year, but maybe they just haven't been reported. We are approaching peak time now, so I think we'll probably hear soon.

Walmart doesn't have safe sea, at least it hasnt in previous years. Nor do any other stores. I remember a report once that it was found in one of the dive shops but even then it was out of date.

Better to bring it with you.

4. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Safe Sea is available online from Amazon and from what I hear, it is the best prevention out there for stings and rashes caused by the Thimble Jellyfish (Sea Lice).

212eric

5. jakif

jakif Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I purchased it on line last year prior to coming down to Cancun in April and it arrived within two days. I am bringing it with me again on Saturday, just in case!!! It works very well...JakiF

6. siki00

siki00 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can you tell as soon as you been stung? It is too late for me to order Sea Safe. Are there any other preventatives for this? Also, if we get stung, what can we do to treat it? I read something about Gold Bond Powder to help the itch.

Thanks!
    Michelle

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You won't feel it right away usually, not the sea lice anyway. The adult jellyfish you will feel. With sealice, I have noticed little "zings" while I am snorkelling but the rash comes later. Most hotels will advise you if there is sea lice in the water. Best advice is to remove your bathing suit and take a shower in fresh water immediately. Wash your bathing suit and machine dry to kill the little buggers (find the laundromat in your hotel). Drip dry won't get rid of them and they might be around next time you put on the suit. I know it's not a pleasant idea, but rinsing in urine or windex is supposed to help as well. I think any itch remedy should do the trick, but if you are unlucky enough to get hit, go to a pharmacy here and let them know exactly what is going on. "Pulgas del mar" I believe is what they call it in Spanish, the pharmacists will know what to give you. Keep in mind that they don't affect everyone, it's kind of like an allergy, some people really get hit while others don't. My first time I got NAILED but the other five people I had been playing in the surf with were fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice