Sea Lice are back

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Kris in Cancun, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just an FYI...yesterday we went to Puerto Morelos, and the second we entered into the sea, we were attacked by sea lice (or tiny jellyfish). As soon as we got into the water, we started itching, and today we are covered in the whelps/rash that follows.

Its a little early for this, but just wanted to let everyone know. Anyone who has had the misfortune of running into these guys, knows it is miserable!!! Happy swimming!

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kris: Do the bites look like little pimples? I went yesterday, and my legs are "dotted"... I itch one, and another one starts itching... Sucks.

Ps. Any good home-remedy??

3. KuffandVix

KuffandVix Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know about sea-lice, but when we have the "swimmers itch" in our lakes they suggest coating anything that's going to be in the water with Baby Oil prior to getting wet.....dunno if that'll work

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ugh, I always suffer but Hubby and kid never seem to be affected, thanks for the heads up.

Hot showers, antihistamines (it's an allergic reaction) and hyrdrocortisone cream. (Socks on the hands so you don't scratch). :)

5. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The rash from these jellyfish larvae look like massive bug bites of some sort. Mostly, they happen under your swimsuit--as they get trapped there and keep stinging you. It itches and burns like the worst bug bites of your life; like you are on fire! Lucky me, I am having a somewhat severe reaction to getting stung so many times...On top of kozillions of stings, I also have fever, chills, major body aches, and just feel like crap, in general.

I have put Caladryl topically, and am taking benadryl and tempra. I am considering bathing in vinegar to see if that helps...reading a lot of different "remedies" online and am itching so badly, I'm ready to try just about anything. I've been stung before, but never this many...

I'll be staying out of the water for a little while!

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're doing everything right, not much else to be done. I tried vinegar but it did nothing for me at all. You might try a cortizone cream, something stronger than Caladryl and definitely the hottest shower you can stand (temporary relief anyway). Will take a few days for the worst to be over, then sometimes up to two weeks for it to go away altogether. I feel your pain, really, the little buggers get me too (and of course always in the most uncomfortable areas). Feel better!

7. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    treatment for stings.....ANY KIND....!!

If you can stand the smell & dont gag - try using ammonia on a cotton ball.............IT WORKS VERY WELL as the ammonia breaksdown the enzymes............!!

8. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We can't get ammonia here, but I understand vinegar also helps break down the toxin. I wish I had know it last year after lurking on the water above sea grass!

9. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in the water yesterday here in PaaMul (about 15 km south of Playa del Carmen) and no itchies and checked with the dive master this am - he says they're not getting them either. I'm hoping he's right as tomorrow I'll be back in the water and react VERY BADLY to many of those venomous things.

10. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Other remedies for bites & insect stings - Meat tenderizer (usually found in supermarkets) Adolf's is one brand... Windex (with ammonia) - papya juice which contains the enzyme papaine and last - but not least -

U R I N E.....!!!! "homemade ammonia solution":clappyinghappy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice