rolling stone article on mexican drug war

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by johndish, Nov 16, 2008.

1. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am an avid of reader Rolling Stone and consider myself smart enough to determine which articles are true journalism and which are wacko left wing.

Great and very sad article this week about the drug war in mexico currently happening. It really makes me want to cry how America's insatiable appetite for drugs causes so many problems for Mexico......

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/24012731/the_war_next_door

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting article. While I think that it just skims the surface of the issue, it does do a concise job of summing up what the current highlights are.

Unfortunately, the depth of the corruption and fear in Mexico is such, that anything short of an all out militarization of the country would not stop the trades, and even that would likely not fully succeed, and would only increase the violence. (ie: as seen in Iraq)

Wherever there is demand for something illegal the criminal element will always provide it regardless of the destruction they cause.

Sadly, I don't see any end to the violence until the demand for the drugs and the need for the human trafficking is eliminated, both of which I fear border on the impossible. Even then, there would surely be something else for which the criminal element would operate.

3. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i am not sure the link was a summary or the entire article but, the article in rs was about 6 pages. It was I felt the first fairly honest in depth article of the problem... that i have seen in the states

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice