Robbed in SM 32

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And yes, the repair was a shy deal. ;-)

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My embassy gave me the advice to "not call the cops unless you REALLY have to..." I stand by it, as I have friends whom have reported a robbery/break in, only to have the cops come in and "finish the job", taking what the burglars never took...

Ive been robbed 3 times by the cops when walking across the park where I used to live. All in all, they took some dvd´s, some spare change, a sandwich(LOL) and a usb stick.

The best part? They had a quick look at my cellphone, but gave it back straight away, as its the most basic Nokia that you can find in Mexico, jaja ;)

After that, I brought the biggest of our dogs whenever I went for a walk - never had a an issue since.

They also changed the two cops in the same park(V - in "our" park) and things improved.

@Du Cooke: Last I heard, the Cancun police had a success rate of 4 or 5 % of all cases solved...

I have never had any issues with any of our flats though. Lived on the top floor in one building, and this new one is on the ground floor, but has metal bars covering the window. These metal bars make Alcatraz look like childs play, hehe :)

3. Du Cooke

Du Cooke Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I hope everything gets sorted, am just interested to now how things work, due to am planning on moving over there in the next year, police being one of them, its interesting to now a little background how they react, am from UK and in my view of the police here its not a good or respectable view, so its good info to hear that police in cancun are on the ball there, rather than turning a blind eye to things like over here

4. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the Ball? Where did you read that? Farthest thing from the truth. Success rate of 4 or 5%, is not a good sign.

5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Du Cooke - were you being sarcastic?

The UK police do a great job compared to the ones here.

The police in Cancun are corrupt beyond belief, many are often drunk on duty, it's better to stay well away from the police here.

When I see police in the UK I feel safe, here I feel a bit worried...

6. Du Cooke

Du Cooke Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No not being sarcastic matkirk just having a say, we all have different views about the police here, there & every where, I hear like your self things about the police and have my own insight to maybe what police are like over there, It's just interesting to hear it come from people who live in cancun like your self, gives me a inside picture of the place more , most police forces inner workings are probably corrupt, britain being no different, I don't rate the police over here personally but everyone to there own

7. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Du, I think you missed the point mate. You said...

that's the bit I thought you were being sarcastic about.

Where did you hear the cops in Cancun were "on the ball and not turning a blind eye"?

8. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally I haven't had any bad experiences with the local cops, but I also know that when you have an emergency in Cancun, most people only call the cops as an afterthought (if they call them at all). It just involves more potential paperwork, and nothing gets resolved.

Most people say they arrive very late on the scene, but the one time I had to call them after my house got broken into, there were 3 cop cars at my house within 5 minutes.

That being said, in general I try to avoid them because of some of the stories I've heard.

9. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's pretty cool that 3 showed up in 5 minutes!!

Did they catch the people who broke into your house and get your stuff back, and keep you updated as to what was happening with the crime report in a professional manner?

Or did you never hear anything from them again?

10. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No.

No.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice