Road Conditions around Veracruz

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Alma Libre, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola all,

Has anyone heard anything about recent road conditions between Tampico and Veracruz? I know a couple of storms rolled through there and likely hurt the roads.

Any current info appreciated. We´ll be rolling through there in a couple of weeks. Roads were pretty good back in June when we rolled North.

Saludos (and see you soon...fairly soon)
    Rob y Joanne

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering when you all were going to return to us! Happy and safe travels and be sure to announce here when the store is open again please.

No idea on the roads, sorry.

3. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Coming home

Hola RiverGirl,

It feels like we've been gone forever. We're just finishing up our vacation right now and will hit the road again soon. We hope to open the bookstore again by around mid November.

BTW, in case anyone beyond me cares, I heard from a fellow traveller that the roads are no better or worse than previous years. The hurricanes did not seem to affect them much.

See ya'll soon
    Rob & Joanne

4. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Villahermosa

Just hearing that Villahermosa in the state of Tabasco is under water. Terrible flooding, 80% of the state is flooded.

Assuming the roads are under water as well. Are any of you that read the local papers hearing anything?

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The main highway that goes through Villahermosa is closed! I don't know more than that. Are you on the road now?

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the road

Thanks for this info, it's hard to get when you are on the road.

I am not sure I understand just how bad this is. Do you know how much of the road is closed or how long it will be closed? the ADO article made it sound like the road will be open soon, but seeing the pictures, it is hard to believe.

We usually take the toll road from Veracruz. It ends about 30 minutes north of Villahermosa. We then drive right through the centre of Villahermosa and end up in Escarcega. It's a busy route.

The bypass route from por esto is difficult because of the mountains and we are pulling a trailer. I took the trailer on that road once and ran my drum brakes down to the rivets! Giant downhills with topes at the bottom. Cruel! I promised myself (and my truck) I would never drive that road again with the trailer attached.

We are in Texas right now, we were supposed to make our run for the border on Tuesday. We can wait until it is safe or until we know we need to take the bypass. Any info appreciated!

Gracias
    Rob y Joanne
    "Antsy in Austin"

9. LurkerGurl

LurkerGurl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rob - It looks like LurkerGurl's post might help. I don't have time this morning to research this for you, hopefully someone else does. If I hear more info I will post, but I've got a gazillion things going on today. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice