Road closures

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just came out Lopez Portillo heading for Leona Vicario and saw several employee transport buses heading out that way! They are going out that way and then taking the loooong way around to Puerto Morelos by the Ruta de Cenotes. And I have a 9:30 a.m. meeting tomorrow in the Riviera Maya!

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah lets just completely close down the main thoroughfare to and from Cancun for 13 days... O' and the hotel zone too...

Gotta love it! ViVa Mexico! :mexicoflag:

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd still rather be here though with bizarre road closures and drivers that have no idea how to drive than fighting my way to work on the North Circular in the wind, rain and snow... :biggrinbandit:

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and when is the night marathon???????????

5. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Marathon is delayed 2 weeks

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was told that one of the reasons Cancun was chosen for the summit was its ability to completely shut down access to the area to maintain security and tight controls of who gets in and out.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah.. never mind the hundreds of thousands of people who need to get to work, or the tourists.... I understand that they don't want any violence but it seems like they didn't really plan things out very well... completely shutting down the main road into and out of a big city for extended periods shouldn't even be an option. It's not like a US city where there are numerous alternates to take... never mind its a divided highway that could allow for one side to be closed while the other accommodates the traffic... I assume they must be allowing traffic to go every once and a while, but even so this is really an example of poor planning IMHO...

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And that is a two-edged sword. Not only the police but demonstrators, natural disastors and worse can also shut things down easily.

9. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I drove to CUN and back Monday from Puerto Morelos.

They had the northbound lane split for two-way traffic which made it slow for northbound traffic, but southbound was backed up all the way back beyond the airport turnoff. The southbound lane was used as two-way traffic for the conference.

On the way back south at 4:00pm or so, we were pleasantly surprised to see the road was back to normal, only minor slow-downs with a couple of check points.

Could it be they will only delay traffic in the mornings?

Other note, I saw exactly one protester with one sign at Cancunmesse and a group of young girls cheering for a vegan lifestyle.

Meanwhile, they have shut down the port here in Puerto Morelos which pretty much destroys the fishing/snorkeling business here. They are negotiating with the government to allow business in restricted zones.

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So far they seem to be doing a good job minimizing any problems, all the guys in my office from Playa are getting to work on time, with no bother, and I pass the HZ each morning without any problems, lets see how the week progresses, but so far (from what I know) things seem to be going pretty smoothly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice