RiverGirl..

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by NormsKid, May 27, 2008.

1. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just read your latest post on your blog! :lol:

Too Funny!!

I actually have a friend here in Chicago that has a condo in my neighborhood that smells like poop whenever the toilet is flushed. He has it on the market for sale....an wonders why he hasn't gotten any offers yet???LOL?

Michelle

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for reading.

I was once on a plane that had a problem with the ventilation system. Anytime anyone used the bathroom the whole cabin stank for 10 minutes. It was wretched.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was on a flight from Anchorage to Hong Kong, which isn't exactly a short hop. One of the center toilets on this 747 malfunctioned and "contaminated" the plane. Some people became ill, adding to the overall effluvia. It was hell.

RG, in your blog you mentioned the smell in the ZH, which is very prevelant in the area just north of the La Isla Mall. I have to ask, while Cancun is busy installing miles of pipe for the sprinklers to green up the center strip on Kulkulcan Blvd., and there are new, 18 story condos springing up on every available square kilometer of land, is there any plan to improve the water treatment facilities, or are all these condos in the ZH and along Bonompak going to just overwhelm the infrastructure?

If you multiply the number of buildings times the number of floors in each building, times an average of, let's say 12 apartments per floor times, times let's say 1.5 toilets per apartment, times, let's say 6 flushes a day, times 1.5 gallons per flush, plus showers and baths and dishes, etc. you have to wonder; Where's this water coming from, and more importantly, after the water is "used", where's it going? Has anyone read anything about expanding the water treatment plants, which appear to be overwhelmed even now?

And speaking of overwhelmed, take Kulkulcan Blvd.'s 2 lanes and add in a minimum of 1 automobile per new apartment, combined with the absolute non-coordination of the traffic light system on Kulkulcan and you have to wonder even more.

The traffic lights create traffic rather than smooth it out. One of the busiest bus stops in the entire ZH, the north-bound opposite La Isla, is not cut into the curb (kerb), so the right lane is perpetually gummed up by busses, while the left lane is gummed up by cars trying to turn into La Isla, and yes, there is NO traffic light there.

The two lights further down by Aquamarine are never green at the same time, so you lurch along as one turns green and the other turns red.

And we're going to add into this mix a zillion new cars. What are the planners, zoners, environmental boards and engineers thinking?

4. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suppose I will be reading this same article about Cancun in another 15 years!

How many times need one reinvent the wheel?

Michelle

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have any answers, just a sensitive nose.

But when husbandito was getting his architecture degree in D.F. 20 years ago his professors talked a lot about Cancun's NEW and much IMPROVED sewer system. It was supposed to be much better than systems in other flat places (where gravity doesn't help get the sewage to the treatment facility). My understanding is that only the HZ has that newer system and that Centro has an older type system. But honestly I smell sewer gas more often in the HZ than I do here in town.

Regardless of how well it used to work (if it ever worked well) they obviously need to plan for expansion. And I have not seen much evidence that urban planning is something Cancun's minders are all that good at...

6. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just read your latest blog entry about cheek kissing.

Oh....what a HOT topic here in Chicago!LOL!

Due to the LARGE amount of immigrants here and the ethnically divided communities, it's often impossible to know if you should greet someone with a cheek kiss or a hug or a handshake!

I've stopped initiating either one and wait on the lead from the other person. It's sooooo uncomfortable when you guess wrong & make the other person feel a bit uneasy by your "casual" hug or cheek kiss.

Anyway.....wikipedia has it's own write up about the "cheek kiss" and pretty much explains why it's so difficult to know what to do when you live someplace that is truly ethnically diverse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing

Michelle

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michelle - That's a good article, thanks for posting the link.

9. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I agree! That's why I've gone to one hand on each cheek, pull forward, and plant a wet one on the lips. No mistaking intent there! :shock:

:D

Actually I use a simple rule - If I've seen you topless, you get a hug. If we've met before and kissed, cheek or otherwise, you get a kiss on the cheek. If it's the first time we've met you get a handshake. All this goes out the window if you initiate anything more than that.

Now if I can just remember who fits into what category...... :roll:

Jamie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice