Riu Caribe (formerly Gran Caribe) ***** AI

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 22, 2005.

1. alib

alib Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi

i am going to be @ the RIU Caribe in July with 3 of my pals. we are cockneys so if any1 hears a bunch of drunk londoners with cockney accents thats us.

ANY1 else going to be out there at that time 14th till the 28th

2. Lashy

Lashy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    riu caribe, not like it was as gran caribe, BEWARE

FYI- Went to Mexico for my 4th time in April of 2006. The prior 3 visits were excellant, when the RIU caribe was owned by Real (caribe). This time beware: After the hurricane the businesses are trying to make up all there money. At senor Frogs we got 2 margaritas, 2 beers, and 1 plate of nachos the bill was 1001 peso's, thats 100 US dollars. The town is destroyed, the riu had water mains break toliets not working, and the food was horrible. After talking to many guests at the resort they too experienced BIG issues in town, there kids ended up with 300-400 US dollar tabs at fat tuesdays etc. They are raping the tourists, we will not be back for a very long while, next time its europe or fiji. The view was great, the drinks were great. 4 people in our group of 10 were sick for 3 weeks after we came home they had parasites. We actually tried booking flights to come home early. If it wasnt for the staff it would of been a disaster. There was harldy any bargaining at the flea markets they would not budge, because they lost so much money, they are screwing everyone. A bottle of dos equis at senor frogs was 9 us dollars thats right 9, last time it was 2 dollars last year.

3. Isabelle

Isabelle Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sorry you had such a bad experience lashy... i was at the Riu Caribe in March this year and had a wonderful time. I also found great deals at the markets.. yes it took some talking but they did come down in their price quite a bit. As for drinks and meals, we've only ate at the resort since it was A/I, and drinks, we usually paid the $40 entrance fees to the clubs and drank free all night.
    Not sure about in town (stayed in the hotel zone mostly), i did only head in once for a trip to Walmart, but i was very impressed on how things were being re-built so quickly.

I would definately recommend the Riu Caribe to anyone going... if i had the $$ myself i'd luv to return someday real soon

4. English boy

English boy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Spring breaker

Hi there

Im off to caribe hotel for the 1st week of march, coming from england and only being at the young age of 20 i want to enjoy the spring break as much as i can. As this is a 5 star hotel do they take kindly to young people that dont dont come in till the early hours of the morning

5. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi guys... does anyone have any current info on this resort?.. we'd love to hear from someone who's been there recently.

6. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ditto

7. mizmo

mizmo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stayed at the Riu and liked it alot. If your young and looking for a party hotel this was not it - at least when we were there - we went to night clubs in town for that. Overall very nice though...food good, rooms clean, staff friendly. Pretty quiet overall...beach volleyball was about the most popular activity - some of the others were ok. Night time lounge singer was not very good with english songs but she really did try. Shows were ok - only saw two though. Even the sports bar was pretty quiet most nights - they serve nachos and ham sandwiches late night. the restaurants were good...servers in the buffet varied from very good to down right had to chase them down to get a coffee but the resort was busy so we just got a pot of our own and dealt with it that way. overall very good stay

8. puggs

puggs Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The g/f and I were there last March and loved it. Like mizmo said its not really the party atmosphere but thats what the night clubs are for. We are going back in May with another couple we loved it so much. The animation team is awesome and are always putting something fun on so you never get bored. Overall its not the Ritz but for what you pay you definitely get more than what you pay for.

9. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the responses... :)...

10. bisonhowie

bisonhowie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ah no guys i gotta tell you the hotel was awesome, the food was fantastic (which suprised me as i read some reviews that said it was terrible!) and as for a party atmosphere, well it definitely has that!

true the hotel isn't a nightclub, but liz, renee and the rest of the staff take you into town and they're always up for a drink around the pool. as well as organising tequila volleyball and other drinking games, there's definitely a great atmosphere!

back to the caribe in 8 days and really can't wait!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice