Riu Cancun...Any New Reviews?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Ben1553, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Ben1553

Ben1553 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been to Riu Cancun half a dozen times but not within the last few years. Does anyone have a recent trip review?? I always go the first full week of April.

Thanks!

2. dracken

dracken Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorite Resort. Been there a dozen times (at least once a year since 2006). Was there last in April 2013. Really nothing changes there. Still a beautiful resort. Aside from the resort needing some refurbishing, the rooms, pools, bars, theater & decor are still as they were eight years ago. In fact, many of the same staff have been there since it opened. I hear they are getting a renovation this spring. If it's anything like the renovations at the Caribe and other newer Rius, I'm not sure I will enjoy it as much. Lots of white, white & more white. Straight lines everywhere you look with very little detail or uniqueness. Very cookie cutter IMO and not very pleasant on the eyes. In any case, I'm booked toward the end of April, just before it closes for the new renovations.

3. Ben1553

Ben1553 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, Ive been there quite a few times as well since the year it opened. I've never had a bad experience....especially as bad as some of the reviews on other travel sites. Maybe just good luck...I don't know. I'm hoping when RIU renovates from April-May that they execute it a bit differently from previous renovations at other resorts.

I was worried about booking a vacation there so close to the close date but I have confidence in the staff there.

I am curious about the atmosphere at the new Riu Palace Peninsula right down the street.

4. dracken

dracken Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, we're booked the week before they close their doors for the renovations. Hope there are no issues. As long as the pools and the atrium terrace bar are open, I can't imagine not having a great time. I would be more worried about the week or two after the renovations as construction always run longer than planned. We walked through the Peninsula last April. Seemed way more quieter, almost desolate, compared to the Riu Cancun, RPLA or Caribe next door. Probably nice for couples that don't want the "party" atmosphere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice