Ricky Williams Retires

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Watson, Jul 26, 2004.

?

Do you think Ricky Williams is an idiot?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :anon:

I'll have some....with a beer & a shot! Extra butter too!

2. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a fact, an idiot is defined as:

Websters -
    "an ignorant person-a person afflicted with idiocy-a feebleminded person having the mental age not exceeding three years and requiring complete custodial care-a silly or fooish person"

Maybe to put this spin on it, Ricky isn't an idiot. Idiot's don't have responsibilities.
    Here's another fact. He didn't retire to get HELP. You are assuming something that is not the case. Where is the relevance in your argument? The drama of him blowing his brains out may be a good court tactic but I'm not buying it. And if that did happen, no, it wouldn't make me happier.

This is a quote from Ricky to the Miami Herold informing them of his retirement.

He didn't quit due to social anxiety. He quit because there are simpler things in life. There's tin shacks and those people are happy. There is no league testing him regularly for drugs. He didn't want the money, the fame. Fine. Quit in January or don't even enter the draft. He could have retired 5 months ago or played another year then retired. Then he would have been a role model. All he's teaching children is that okay to walk away on those who are counting on you. Your happieness is more important than anyone else's. You can't do that at this level when you make a lot of money to play a sport that a lot of guys slugging it in college would love a shot at. You can't do what Ricky did and not expect some flack.
    Don't get me wrong Michelle. If I had his money I'd move to BBG permanently to hang out on the swings, but the reality is, it isn't an option. I have responsibilities and they number a hell of a lot fewer than Ricky's.
    Michael - I like butter on mine too!

3. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I dunno. I would surmise that people living in tin shacks on a Carribean island don't normally live their lives under the spotlight with a microphone and camera thrust in your face every other day. Sounds more like he's when he says a "simpler life" he means a life away from the stress of being in the public eye all the time. Some athletes thrive in it. Others don't and get burned for not being more accessible. Ricky wants out of it entirely. As far as his "tin shack" analogy goes...we all know it was an analogy, right? He's been cruising the Pacific all this time, visiting Hawaii and Australia, etc. The simple life isn't his Desire. A life away from the circus is.

He may be taking medication to control his disorder, but that doesn't necessarily change how it influenced his life and personality before then. Not everyone is able to break out from the mold they grew into when they were adolescents. Ricky stayed in football for as long as he could stand it. When the breaking point happens, is it ever at a convenient time for anyone? (Dolphins? Football fans?).

His statement above affirms for me my own opinion that he was never cut out for pro football. He went in anyways, because that was expected of a Heisman Trophy winner and a dominant rusher and lasted only this long. If he ever comes out of retirement, tho, my opinion will change. You don't waffle on something like this. He's not Michael Jordan and won't be welcomed back with open arms if he changes his mind.

4. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm glad Ricky's stronger now to not play football. I wouldn't try and talk someone out of a decision like this. He seems relieved and I think that if this is what he wants, go for it but I would be a heck of a lot happier with his decision if it didn't ruin a lot of innocent people's lives and careers. The only person gaining from this is Travis Minor.
    Do you understand what this could do to his coach Dave Wannstedt? Surprises like this show incompetance. Wannstedt looks the fool. He's supposed to know what his players think and feel. What Ricky did came out of nowhere.
    I appreciate where everyone on this thread is coming from. I truely believe everyone should be happy. No one should feel uncomfortable about any aspect of their lives. We should all have freedom, guided but not controlled, as Ricky says. The reality is, the world just don't turn that way. And as I've said before, Ricky's world, to this point, especially doesn't turn that way.

5. susieq76

susieq76 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay- here is my football-loving my dad coached and made his three daughters fotball freaks opinion:

Ricky Williams is an idiot- but not for retiring. Hey if he doesn't want to do it anymore get out - there are plenty of other reasons as well. Now for the why- he is an idiot because he waited untill NOW to make this decision. He now leaves the dolphins high and dry. Had he come to this decision prior to the beginning of camp the dolphins could have found and replacement or at the very least used their draft pick to compensate.

The facts are he failed a drug test twice- he would have been fined and had to sit (I think three) a few games for that. Instead he decided to retire. Why take the consequences of your actions (drugs) when you can just retire?

Thus, why I think Ricky Williams is an idiot.

6. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Susie,

:bow:

My long-winded responses said the same thing. It's not the retiring, it's the timing. Period.

P.S. He still has to pay the close to $650,000 in failed drug test fines if his appeal in unsuccessful. Cuts into the tin shack building fund never mind the purple haze purchases, don't ya think? :wink:

7. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only point I will give to this is that football has been watered down, back before the eighties (way to many rules now), people played because of the love of the game.

In every job there are risks, at mine I can get eletricuted, the boiler could blow up, or I could get any number of transerable diseases (for those reading and don't know I work maintenence in a hospital).

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not assuming anything.....I have NOT said he retired to get professional help. What I said was that the man NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP. And...I'm hoping that now his REAL friends can step up to the plate and attempt to help him get some help. Most folks who need help don't know it and stay in denial for years.

I have no clue how someone reaching the edge and blowing their brains out has anything to do with court....so I can't respond to that at all. I don't know what your implying.

As to why he quit....I've never said it had anything to do with social anxiety either. I don't even know if the dude can spell social anxiety! I haven't talked to him so I'm not gonna profess to know why he quit. I'm sure he knows and those who are closest to him know.

As for what he's teaching children....the parents of whatever children you are referring to need to teach their own children. My parents certainly didn't have me idolizing Athletes and looking up to them for moral guidance or value teaching. Atheletes are athletes, not role models. If one just so happens to be a good role model then fine.....but simply cause someone is an athlete doesn't make them a role model or someone that a child should look up to.

As far as happiness....I serve one God and ONLY one God. I do what I think would be pleasing in his eyes and I don't give a crap how unhappy that makes the rest of the world. I just hope that at some point, Ricky Williams can get to that same point in his life. When/if he does I think he will land on his feet and get his life together.

Whatever sins he's committed, I forgive him and I pray for him. Vengence is NOT mine......

So continue on with the stoning.....I'm off to get another beer & a shot....

:brick:

Michelle

9. hkplayer

hkplayer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a fellow canadian and a hardcore nfl fan. ricky was my favourite player in the active league cuz i admired his character and his style of play. but now that hes gone, who the heck am i rooting for now? :(
    either way, my teams still are the rams, bucs, and dolphins - i hope one of them does well this year. i think the rams are the only ones looking after the off-season.

on a separate but related note: do any forum members want to play in a fantasy football league? say, on yahoo's cuz its free? let me know :)

10. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think it's any of our places to say the guy NEEDS PROFESSIONAL HELP when he's not even saying he needs it. I'm not a phycoligist, I'm a football fan.
    As for what your parents taught you I think that's wonderful but I also think it incredibly naive to think children don't emmulate athletes, or movie stars, or politicians. Anyone in the spotlight has that kind of attention and, in some cases unfortunately, that kind of power.
    Your comment about him blowing his brains out was dramatic, and I might add, completely irrelevant. Asking if we'd be happier if he blew his brains out was, in my opinion, nothing more than a ploy to make us feel bad. Like I said, I didn't buy it.
    I believe in God too. I believe that I should live my life by the ten commandments. One of those commandments that I think falls into everyone's everyday is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Do you think Ricky would appreciate a teammate, someone he thought was his friend and co-worker, just walk away and leave him hanging. If you can manage to live your life for only you and your God, all the power to you. I must have done something wrong where I feel my actions and words not only reflect on those closest to me but can also hurt those closest to me. And because of this, make my decisions as unselfishly as possible.
    As for forgiving him. There's nothing to forgive. It's his life to live and as a football fan, my right to critisize it. Ricky isn't you or me. There's more tied to his role in this world up until this moment than you or I experience. Didn't you have an opinion when Clinton lied to the American public about his relations with Monica? Didn't you think he stained the office of the presidency? Or did you just think he needed help and his actions were his to make? Granted, the presidency is much more important in the scheme of things than football but how if reflects poorly on the person (Ricky) is a parallel I'm willing to make in this debate.
    I'm also not out for vengence. Why would I be? He didn't kill my child for God's sake. He quit football. He just didn't do it when I think would have been a better time to do it.
    Unfortunately I can't have another shot. I'm at work.

hkplayer - I liked Ricky too even though he played for the fish and as a Buffalo fan I wanted to see them squished. He's a power runner and what hurts a lot is to see that kind of talent wasted. He frustrated the hell out of defences and every team's game plan who went up against the Dolphins centred around stopping him. He was awesome to watch. I saw a game in Buffalo 2 years ago in December. Snowing and crappy. Great football weather! Ricky ran all over my Bills. We still won but he scored 3 times that day on long runs. Awesome runs. Runs where even though he's the enemy, you had to admire him.
    As for fantasy football. I might consider it though I had to put it aside 2 years ago because I got so wrapped up in it I didn't enjoy the season. I think on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice