Restlings Sept. 29th- Oct. 5th Ttr/desire Rm Split Trip Report

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Restling, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    As I was typing this Meri said, "you really think anyone wants to read something that long?" I don't know, but that's your warning that it's lengthy.

I joined this forum 10 years ago, and have gathered tons of information that has helped me plan trips. Even though it doesn't seem to get the same traffic that it once did, I'll share my report as usual.

A little bit about us (Scott and Meri), we are both 52, and have been together since we were 15. We have a 21 year old son who is a senior in college, and basketball player, and a 27 year old daughter who is extremely handicapped. Our son keeps us pretty busy with his basketball, but that's really all we ever do anymore. Our daughter still lives at home with us, and for the last few years has made going out extremely difficult. That means we really only have the opportunity for one trip a year, and it's always around this time. Meri is pretty much an introvert so vacation or not, it's not the end of the world. I really like to go, so if anything would cause it to be cancelled I would be ticked, or at least very pouty...

This was our 9th trip to Cancun, 7th to Temptation, and 1st to Desire. We had never planned on going to Desire, but friends from other trips had gone, and liked it, the price difference wasn't bad, I like to try new things, so that's how that happened. I will say we are pretty vanilla, as far as sex goes, but the clothing optional part isn't a big deal.

I'll share this first part, because I think it could be useful if someone is in this position, even though it isn't really a trip review.

We had a 9:30 flight our of Chicago. We come from a very small town of 1700 people, so just the business of going to Chicago and the traffic is more intense than normal life here. We have a small regional airport that is a 30 minute drive, and can connect us to Chicago, but it cost more to use it, so sometimes we don't.

We like to give ourselves plenty of travel time, and are really glad we did. We were up around 3:30 out of the house by 4:30, and that would get us to the airport between 6:30-7:00. When we got up we had an email from the airline stating.

"Hello SCOTT,

Regrettably, unforeseen operational issues required us to substitute a smaller capacity aircraft in place of the originally planned aircraft. If you have flexible travel plans and would be willing to switch to a confirmed seat on a different Frontier Airlines flight, we would like to offer you a $200 voucher for each person on your reservation if we take your seat.

If you want to take us up on this offer, please contact our Reservations center at 801-401-9006 for assistance in re-booking your travel and refer to your Frontier confirmation code GHUR3R.
    "

We didn't think much of it, and don't have flexible schedules so we headed out. Less than an hour into our drive we got another email.

"Hello Scott,
    We are sorry to inform you that your upcoming Frontier flight 44 from ORD - Chicago, IL to CUN - Cancun, MX has been disrupted. We apologize for this inconvenience and the impact to your travel plans.

You can manage your options and select new travel accommodations at the link below.

Please be aware that if you have a checked bag on your original flight, your bag(s) will not be automatically moved to your new flight. Please see an airport agent to arrange for transfer of your checked bag(s).

SHOW ME MY OPTIONS
    Again, we're sorry that your travel plans have been disrupted and we hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you onboard a future Frontier flight.
    "

I don't know how you could read that, and not think the flight was cancelled. We didn't say much, but just kept driving. Meri checked on flights, and there was an option for the same flight the next day, so we figured that is what we would do. I didn't really want to go back home, we already had the time off, so I just kept driving. I figured we might stop and see some friends in Chicago, spend the night, and then leave in the morning. About a half hour later Meri checks the flights again, now the one for the next day is sold out and not available. I thought there was a decent chance our trip might be over. I didn't really want to do a 4 day vacation with a transfer in the middle of it. I was pretty much stuck anger and acceptance in my levels of grief thinking it was done.

Meri, said, "are we just going to go home, should we pull over and think this thru, and try to get our money back and go another time?" I just kept driving to the airport, and didn't say much. We called Expedia, as that is who we booked thru. They were no help at all. I tried Frontier (the airline), and they didn't answer the phone until 7:00. Well, that was the same time we were going to get to the airport anyway, so I kept going. I really didn't want to talk to someone on the phone, I wanted it face to face. We had a flight get severely delayed a few years ago, and they got us on another airline, so I was hanging on to that.

We get to the airport right at 7:00, and as I was talking to the Frontier rep on the phone at the same time. She said to just follow the on screen options, and book another flight. That was no help, so I hung up. We parked right next to the terminal in the short term parking and walked in without our luggage. It was a short wait in line to talk to someone, and she had no idea what I was talking about, said they were loading the plane, and the we had :50 to get on it. We were shocked. Quickly got back to the car, and went to the less expensive lot with the shuttle, it was full, they gave us a coupon to park in the main lot for the same price, and we used it. Much to our surprise we ended up on the plane, and in the emergency row seats with extra leg room that we had picked out.

Flight was smooth, no paper work needed in Cancun, no mask in Chicago, the plane, or arriving in Cancun. It took only about ten minutes to get to the stampy stamp guy, head down thru the gauntlet, and we were in the USA Transfers van.

Check in: It was easy, and they gave us red wristbands that gave us access to the premier bars, and alcohol. They said it was from booking with Expedia. We got a Bash Tower room as usual, and on the right side if facing the water, so that you don't have the sun shining on you in the morning. We did get a small amount of pressure about buying membership, and the lady asked, "if you have been here so many time, why don't you buy in?" Meri, went right for the big guns, and told her we have a handicapped child at home, so we never know if we can get away. That worked, and she left us alone.

Our schedule is pretty much the same all 3 days at TTR. Room service breakfast on the balcony, head down to the Tower deck, and get some chairs. Hang out till early afternoon when the loud games start, and then head up to the Sky bar for lunch. Rest up there a bit, then head down to the pool for a while, then hot tub around 4:00. Stay in there a couple hours. Get supper, take a nap, then head to Bash as the show is ending. We would usually stay there until 1:30 or so.

Room: We used to get a jacuzzi room, but now like the Tower room as the free room service, and access to the skybar is something we use a lot. No issues with the room, but no balcony shows this year. First time ever.

Service: They were great as usual. They even would go up and down the hallway in the early evening with a cart asking if you needed more towels or something for the fridge. Don't remember that in the past.

Food: We are far from foodies, so it's not really a bid deal, but Meri has never been much of a fan of the options, she's pretty picky and just simple things like meat and potatoes. We would get omelets and french toast in the morning. Lunch at the skybar would be cheese sticks of course, shrimp tacos for me, and pizza for Meri, after a burger the first day that wasn't that great. Normally just some snacky stuff from room service for supper, and then a Bash burger at night. We have always loved those burgers. Well not this year. For some reason they changed them, and they certainly aren't Angus burgers like advertised. They looked and tasted different, and it wasn't for the better quite a disappointment.

Pool: Even though we were there a month earlier than normal, and it was and had been quite warm, the water was not very warm. Day two the sexy pool was colder than the quiet pool by quite a bit, and the pool up in the skybar that is usually as warm as the hot tub was freezing cold. That too was a disappointment. Day three they were all warmer. The big hot tub by Bash was a perfect temp, and we were there a lot.

One thing that sucked at the pool was day 3, they roped off the tanning deck behind the pool bar that is normally reserved for Tower guest only. Of course nobody was there until well after lunch, and then they just sat on the chairs, and looked at their phones. There was maybe 12 of them, and they whole section did not need to be reserved. We had never had to worry about a deck chair until that day, and by the time we realized it was roped off pretty much all of the chairs were gone except for a couple in front of the speakers, and they are really loud, so we just didn't use them that day.

Toplessness: Seems to be less each year, but I would say around 60%.

Music: As usual it's really loud. Like they found a level past 10 loud. Both at the Sexy pool and Bash. Music selection wasn't great either, way to much Latin music or house music.

Crowd: This was our first trip that a large repeating group wasn't there at the same time, so I really didn't know what to expect. The resort seemed very full. It seemed to skew older than I thought it would, and there was one group of 8 that had to be in their late 60's at least. There were plenty of younger people too, and they were easy to spot. They would have their tops on, someone taking many, many, many pictures of them doing various poses, and of course they would get to the pool, and sit right on the steps so that people would have to get around them. We called the "stair dwellers" It was quite annoying.

There were also some kids there that definitely looked under age. I mean like barely able to drive age. They weren't any issue during they day, but they would circle the Bash stage, or go up and dance and stare at the ladies. They had to have known someone to have got in, they looked that young.

Bash: There were way more people dancing than I ever remember in all of my trips. Last year the music sucked, and was mostly Latin, and our first two days last year nobody was on the stage at all. This year it was always packed. Music day 1 and 3 was really good. Day 2 not so much. We were able to get a table on day 2 so that was nice. Day three was glow night, and it was really busy, and they had a lot of reserved tables, and brought up even more of the beds from down around the pool. It was kind of weird to see people laying back on the beds like they were watching a movie at home before bed with their hands behind their head, but hey, they paid for it, they can do what they want.

Weather: It was just about perfect. It rained one night after midnight at Bash, but didn't really seem to bother anyone.

I suppose this reads as more of a negative report, as I kind of highlighted things we didn't like. Having been there that many times it doesn't have that fresh new feeling, but it's always been a great time. It starts just when you enter the lobby. Not sure what the smell is they use, but it definitely gives you sense memory, and you know you are about to see a lot of good looking nearly naked people and have a great time.

In previous trips we have met other couples there, hit it off, and even vacationed with them in future years. The couple we met last year we had a great time with, and have stayed on contact with. We didn't travel with anyone this year. As luck would have it we met Mr. and Mrs. Majestic Melons a few hours in at the hot tub. We were actually talking to Travis and Jen (if you read this send me you contact info, so we can stay in touch), and Mrs. Melons asked us about going to Desire. We found out they were transferring the same day as us, and we basically were together the whole vacation.

Being pretty vanilla we have been very lucky the last two years to meet people with such similar interest, and have had great times. We are really hoping we get to connect with them again.

So that's ended 3 days at TTR. We had an 11:00 transfer to Desire RM the next day. There is supposed to be a link for a free shuttle from resort to resort on the CancuneCare site, but the linked didn't work, and we had to pay for it. It wasn't much. The trip was only :45 which wasn't bad, as some had said it would take an hour and a half with all of the construction.

Desire Rm: check in was smooth. Meri felt a little weird about them telling us about the places that you can have open sex, and that didn't put at ease much, and she was pretty nervous going in. It's not like we haven't seen sex before. There had always been balcony shows at the Tower at TTR, and each year we have watched couple having sex in the hot tub near Bash, but she was afraid it was going to be everywhere.

Our room wasn't ready so we changed clothes, and headed to the pool. We walked by the beach first, and the first thing we see is some lady giving a guy a hand job out in the open. That really was it, until day three.

Room: We had the lowest level room Deluxe Garden view. We actually had a better view of the ocean than we did at TTR when we had jacuzzi rooms. Room was fine, and we were barely ever in it. I don't think we would ever pay for more.

Pool: The grounds are very well kept, and the paths you take thru the property are kind of wandering. You don't really see the pool until you get there, and I'll say it felt kind of jarring how small it was. After coming from TTR where the pool is wayyyyy to big, the pool at Desire seemed so small. It really isn't. Even during the day with most everyone in, there is plenty of room. Water temp was also much better than TTR, and more what you would want on a Cancun vacation. Not chilly at all. It's defiantly quieter there, they do water exercise class late morning, and one other game in the afternoon, but it's nothing like the screaming at TTR.

The pool has a swim up bar, and two servers going around all the time, so getting service is easy. I would get up at 8:00 each morning and get two chairs by the pool. They also said if a premier person had reserved a chair or bed, but wasn't there by 11:00, then we could take it. Not sure that would happen at TTR. Water depth is much better, and about the same as the quiet pool at TTR. Meri is 5'1" so she really struggled with that at TTR, and couldn't really hold her drink. This is much better by a long shot, and the boobs are out of the water a lot more too.

Food: We ended up just doing buffet each day. We don't like reservations, because we don't like getting locked into something on vacation. Maybe you need a nap, or hang our at the hot tub longer. Either way, the buffet worked just fine for us. The lunch buffet is right at the back of the pool. Really good food. The breakfast and supper buffets shared a room next door. They have a different theme for each night for the food. One night Meri didn't get that much, and the chef came out and asked if he could make her anything else from the kitchen. She was fine with what she had, but it was nice of them to try and be so accommodating.

Hot tub: We would head up there around 5:00, spend a couple hours up there. It's a little bigger than the TTR hot tub, but more oddly shaped. It was really full each night, so you wanted to get there early for a spot. We have definitely seen more sex in the TTR hot tub, than we did at Desire, but we also weren't there late at night after the dancing. There are beds all around up there, three next to the hot tub, and more on the other side of the deck. On day three a few couple were using them. It wasn't anything real loud or attention getting, but they were going at it for a long time, and used many positions. We wondered if we were supposed to applaud afterward, or exactly what the protocol was. It's pretty much, hey, do whatever you want.

Night life: At the lobby bar around 9:30 there is a show like at TTR. We never went to that. After that there is a band. They were pretty good. Then you head upstairs to the Disco. Again, after being outside at Bash, and in such a big area the disco seemed really small at first. It really isn't. Music is way better at Desire. That goes on until around 1:00, and then it really starts to clear out. I assume people are going to the hot tub, or back to their rooms. The sex room had people going in and out all night, but not sure if people were just taking the tour, or using.

Nakedness: Meri has always been topless at TTR, and she was at Desire as well. I've done naked golf and hot tubbing at home around other couples, but was kind of wondering what it would be like at Desire. Day one I took off the bottoms after I got in the pool. Day two you wear comfy shorts to have on at lunch, and leave the suit in the room. Walk around naked. It's actually quite fun. It's also probably more fun to be naked than to be seen naked for guys. We aren't that great to look at, but nobody cares, or even seems to take a look. To give you an idea about how free it is. There is a bathroom very close to the pool. I was in there naked and washing my hands, and the cleaning lady doesn't knock, she just walks right in. Looks around to see if anything is needed, and leaves. It's really just seen as a natural thing. I would say 95% women topless. 40% naked. For guys it was at least 70% naked.

I guess that's about it. We talked on the way home, and she liked Desire more than she thought she would. Seems to be more plusses there than at TTR. Still have a great time at TTR, but it's just different, and getting worse each year it seems.

Bottom line the last two years we have had our best times ever, and it was really because of the people we were with. That's the best part of vacation is making new friends, and I hope we can do it all again.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Fredmgill

Fredmgill Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0
    Thanks for the awesome report Scott! Glad your travel plans worked out. We are heading to Miches at the end of the month, like you, we are spitting our trip between the 2 resorts. First time in Dominican Republic, looking forward to going there and checking out the new resort. Hopefully our paths will cross again!
    Paul & Lisa

3. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    Wow, a great split report. Glad you both were able to enjoy your limited getaway time.

4. Cheers2US

Cheers2US Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +613 / 2
    Great trip report, guys! Glad you enjoyed Desire. Your description of the hot tub was spot on. Yes, it's oddly-shaped: who designed that? And the beds: some nice and close to the jacuzzi, others farrrr away by the stairs. Just so you know, the set up at Pearl is a lot more sensible: a round jacuzzi with beds all around it, evenly and symmetrically. (Is my OCD showing?)

You reminded me how much the Sexy Pool at TTR irks me. I am also 5'1" and can barely navigate the pool waters comfortably. I've never been in a hotel/resort pool with such deep water.

And oh boy, your flight adventure in the beginning was giving me anxiety. We also use Frontier primarily for our trips. Can't believe they put you through all that! But so glad you made it on to the plane.

We also have a child with a disability, so I know how amazing it is to get away for a vacation.

Cheers,
    Mrs C

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 2
    Good review. We have found that we now prefer DRM over TTR. We'll still go to TTR to see and party with friends for a few days every year. If they were not there we would not go back, because you are right, each year is worse, for the reasons you pointed out.
    It's funny how people have a different perspective. We've stayed in the TTR tower (upper floor) for around 50 nights since the tower opened and have hardly ever seen a balcony show. And have never seen anything in the jacuzzi at TTR.
    The beach performances and jacuzzi bed performances at DRM are...what's the best way to say..."graphic". We have avoided the jacuzzi (not totally) after the disco because we want a little innocence (is that possible?) in our DRM trips.
    The size of DRM is perfect. Big enough for some anonymity, but small enough to recognize most faces. We hope the expansion doesn't change that. If it does we will try Pearl.

6. garandcar

garandcar Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Great report Scott , glad ya liked Desire . I don't think Caroline and I will be going back to Temptations unless it's planned in advance to hang with friends there ?? By the way , your friends in Chicago sound really cool ;)

7. Rick&Kelly

Rick&Kelly Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 1
    Thank you for the amazing trip report! I have to say we agree with your take on all areas! We had been to TTR so many times we lost count now but our last few visits have seemed to give DRM a leg up now. We are heading to DRM 10/26-11/02, no TTR this trip. The best part about each of these resorts is the peep that we meet and end up as great friends for life. Hopefully our paths cross along the way :) Thanks again for the great report!

8. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 4
    We have been to TTR 6 times now since it re-opened. We have seen people having sex in the hot tub every trip. Last year a couple was right next to me. I kind of hope they don't finish when they do it, but it usually goes on for quite a while.

9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    Nice one. Sorry to hear about the flight issues. Glad to hear about all the differences you experienced. Thanks for taking the time to write the review, plenty of us are no doubt take the time to read it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice