Restaurants We Like

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim asked, so I'll answer. I have been to Applebee's in the past week. I was at Registro Civil and got hungry early with my painter at my side to shop paint. BTW, Mauricio tracked me down there to do a paper exchange.
    Anyway, I had SW baby back ribs and they gave something like four racks. Really. And that was a 100 peso special on the back page. It was....American ribs. It came with salad and fettucine.
    Jose had shrimp lemom pepper fettucine. He liked it. His "day job" is a waiter and he is always curious about presentation. The food is just like in the US and it somehow felt wrong to be there, as an Isla friend noted on my blog. http://islazina.blogspot.com

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, Zina. Thanks. And thanks to Sam for the Applebee's reviews. I'll give it a try. I am not that familiar with it in the States so even less here.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm bumping this because "picky Jim" keeps telling me he will post a list of his favorite restaurants...

4. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    El atajo is right in front of residencial Bahia Azul... i live in there... still dont know the names of the streets... and yeah its pretty creepy walking around there at night... more as a lonely girl dressed with partying outfit... i really need a car hahahaha

but yeah back to topic. El atajo is probably the cheapest place ive eaten at... and the owner is amazingly sweet and speaks good english... not that i need it but... when i have couchsurfers over they love eating there!

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you involved with www.couchsurfing.com? I've been planning to get involved with them for a while.

6. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes i am and i totally love it!!!!!!! the cancun couchsurfers are all great, we are a big group... we have reunions every thursday at yaxchilan! you should come!

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well it's not a restaurant...but I found some take-out street food I like...

It's a little empanada place on La Luna. They make empandas with beef, pollo, pork, tuna, but my favorite is bean and cheese with chipotle.

The place is a little outdoor table set up just in front of a mini-super on La Luna. It's directly to the right of a Farmacias del Ahorro. The owner is a ChileƱo guy named Fredy. The empanadas are around $12 mxp each. I ate two and was full for 12 hours.

Freddy arrives at 7:30 pm every night except Sunday, when he's closed. He starts to run out of some flavors by about 9:30. The majority of his business is take-out. He has no tables there, but a few folks sit on the few plastic chairs in the parking lot there and eat.

Fredy has been running this little empanada stand for 3 years. We've been hearing about him for a while. I highly recommend this place the next time you want really cheap street food, if you ever do.

Oh and I saw Fredy wash his hands with antibacterial gel 3 times in the short time I was there. He's more careful about hygiene than I've even seen a street vendor be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice