Restaurants We Like

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just back from Flamingo's in Pto. Juárez. Great as usual. Hadn't been a in a good while. Salmon a la leña. New stuff on the menu like goat, rabbit and lamb over the coals too. A friend had a huge t-bone. Nice relaxing ocean view--very nice. And local prices además!

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My surprise pick for the best pizza is at the end of this post, plus I may start a thread on this brand new treasure.

La Troje for sure - RG beat me to the draw on this but at least she warned me. Hey Spin, when is Anna NOT there? Plus I say hi to her a time or two a week at Costco. She goes early. Wonderful creative salads. My favorite is the Margarita with grilled shrimp, sliced mushrooms, artichoke hearts, bites of asparagus and a slighly sweet dressing. Plus crispy lettuce and perfect tomatos of course.

Super Carnes - I love this place even though what used to cost $77 now costs $110. I always order the Arrachera Pacquete, 3/4, with the baked potato, and sometimes a grilled onion. But the degree of cooking varies a lot on the onion. Half an avocado, hot tortillas and a hot roasted pepper, and I mean hot. A drink and a refill included. I usually always eat outside.

Pizzamore - at the NE corner of Kaban and Coba, in the curve of the road, basically across the street from Soriana. Bring your own parking spot but I pulled up to the outside tables with my car hanging over the sidewalk and all was well. They have only 14 tables and just opened Tuesday. The owner/partner, Corey visited with us during our meal. Nice Canadian guy who knows good pizza. He brought us a bowl of garlic and olive oil to spoon or brush on our "pie." We were greeted by the hottest waitress I have ever seen in my life, but she had little to do with our opinion. However, she did bring a tray of piping hot fresh bread and a bowl of chimichurri. These folks know their pizza. Just thin and crispy and you can also ask for a bowl of pizza sauce as the pizza in Mexico does not seem to have a lot of tomato sauce. We had a calzone as well that was as big as a loaf of bread. Corey suggested the crepe for dessert but when he mentioned tiramisu we opted to share an order of that. Will be trying the suggested crepe next time as the tiramisu was sort of dry and cheesy. But who goes to a pizza joint for dessert. 50% off through the end of the month. Worth a trip for sure.

3. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Our favourites

La Palapa Belga- as previously mentioned.

Fonda Argentina- have never failed to enjoy the great steaks and fresh salad.

Dolce Vita- down town.

Gourmet market in caracol - fabulous for chesse , wine and cold meats.

Tracey
    x

4. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to Applebees the other week, i had the tortilla burger and Ingrid had cordon blue chicken, were both really good. Four beers for 99 pesos too, want to go back, they do take out too but have to collect.

5. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tip, gonna give it a go this week as it's next to where i live, will report back. Which road is it in, 1st, 2nd of 3rd entrance (if coming from pt juarez)?

Tip for anyone driving through Donceles at 5.30am in the morning, don't stop because cave people come out of dark corners, making grunting sounds and throw huge rocks (as big as a brick) at your car, attempting to kill you, then the police respond in their usual 'we can't do anything' fashion, scary stuff, no joke!

6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Xtanbheum (no idea how to spell it, sorry) - The best value for money in the hotel zone - They do great burritos for only 40 pesos and the only place in the HZ that we've found beer for 15 pesos a bottle, great when you've had a few! - It's behind Dady Rocks, through the little gap next to where the little shopping center starts.

Piemonte - Great gringas and tacos, streaks are quite good too, good prices, cheap beer. In the Yaxilan opposite La Taberna.

Tacos Rigo - Great on a sunday morning, excellent tacos, gringas and the usual Mexican food.

Best place i have eaten in Mexico is the Argentinian restaurant in Holbox, if it wasn't so far away would go every weekend.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been to Tacos Rigo a few times, but always late, late at night after a party. Had no idea they were open in the morning...gosh.

8. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Xtabentun! I've been wondering if that place was still in business! Thanks, Sam!

9. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now we just need to put all these great establishments on an interactive map, Steve...... :D

So I know where they all are. :lol:

Is there a good street map of cancun somewhere. (with more then just the main streets)

10. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This doesn't have everything but is the best I've found so far:

http://www.cancungooglemaps.com/Cancunmap.htm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice