Restaurant advice in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by arthursremote, Jan 18, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    By some estimates 50% of Cancun's restaurants are simply fronts for money laundering. I can't imagine it's really THAT high myself. But it does explain why so many restaurants here serve terrible food and have terrible service.

2. jerrij

jerrij Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Where can you get real mexican food

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a taqueria on Avenida La Luna that is reputed by many Mexican friends to have the BEST tacos in Cancun.

It's a little stand in the street with 2 or 3 tables. It's on the corner of Santa Monica. It opens about 10 pm. They sell brain tacos and tripe tacos and all manner of gross icky cow part tacos.

Now I don't eat beef so I would never eat there. But according to many Mexicans there's no more authentic Mexican food than tacos, and that place is supposed to be the best.

You asked for it.

4. Medusa

Medusa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. WebDesigner

WebDesigner Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tadaima Restaurant (Japanese and Thai food), on the corner of Coba and Yaxilan... it's the best in all of Cancun in my opinion. The prices are not too high (although they did raise them about a month ago), the service is great and the food is just heavenly!

6. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there used to be a restaurant over by parque de las palapas. . well. . not on one of the streets that goes through to the park but rather one of those that makes the big U around back to the main avenue, that had great authentic Mexican food, sopas, puerco guisado, huitlacoche, mole. . .I think it was called Rosa's or something like that? It's been several years since we ate there and I don't know whether it's still open.

7. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always recommend Cambalache at the Forum Plaza. Food and service are excellent.

My other choices include La Dolce Vita (Hotel Zone) for Italian and Captains Cove for food and after hours club.

8. 101stvet

101stvet Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I second that

I have eaten at Captain's Cove every time I go to Cancun. I have always had great food and service but the price is a bit on the high side. It is nice going into the Karioke side after dinner and laughing with the crowd.

9. stevesteve

stevesteve Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Los Almendros (the almond) in downtown is pretty good. They specialize in Yucatan food (not the average taco deal), so it is worth giving them a try. A nice quiet place for family, not a rawdy place.

10. pjscardz

pjscardz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm glad to hear there are actual options for dining in Cancun now - lol. When I was there nearly 20 years ago there were not many choices. No problem getting drunk but neary impossible to find a good meal.

It's certainly a little concerning to hear RiverGirl mention that the service is lacking. That is the one thing I could rave about when I was there. We stayed at Fiesta Americana Resort & Villas (big pink resort). It was across the street from Mother or Tarzan and a jetski rental place. The service at their dining areas was amazing and the other places we ate around Cancun was just as good.

Unfortunately the food wasn't! By the end of the week I was dying for a home cooked meal. We actually went to a Denny's to get steak. The sad part is that steak was the second best tasting meal we had! At the time the only American franchise dining options were McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Hard Rock Cafe and Denny's. I never eat McD's and we tried Pizza Hut and it was HORRIBLE.

On or last night we ate at a restuarant across from our resort and I had the BEST swordfish I have ever had to this day. At least we ended the trip on a good dinning note! :-D

Of course we are going AI this time and the dine-out plan that's included is pretty limited.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice