Resident Discount Question

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Rudyman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Rudyman

Rudyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know if you can proove residence, there are substantial discounts to Xcaret, Explor etc. I know they request an FM2 or FM3 but will an electric, gas, water bill with your name on it work with a picture ID to verify?
    What about restaurants as well?

2. Opatije

Opatije Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Others may have different experiences however, I noticed lately that in order to receive local discount you do need to show your resident card (old FM2/3 or new Resident Temporal or Permanente).

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Many places want to know you are resident in Quintana Roo before handing out discounts. Carrying a copy of your latest utility bill, with your name on it, could become an important part of getting the deal done.

4. Rudyman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone used utility bill or something of that nature to get Xcaret or Xplor or any other bigger type attractions?

5. Opatije

Opatije Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm very confident they will not apply discounted rate based only on utility bill.

:mexicoflag:

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    I agree, worth taking one along but you'll probably need your immigration card too. A utility bill doesn't prove residency, just that you pay a utility bill :)

The thing with the latest FM2/3 i.e the card is that unlike the old booklet they dont have your address on them. Not sure on the new cards, havent seen one yet.

So although they show you as a resident of Mexico it doesn't demonstrate residency for Quintana Roo. So take both if you can.

7. Rudyman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Steve for your insight. I left my fm3 expire and cannot find it either :(
    Still going to try with statements. Wonder if my bank statement would help as well?

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    On a related subject,
    The "cannot find it" is more of a problem than "I let it expire". If expired, you can deal with that problem at INM, Cancun, and get it renewed.

If you've lost it, things become more problematic, but INM may even be able to deal with that if you saved copies of everything, including the document they give you when you file the case.

With the document they give you, you can locate the case online, as can they.

Whether they could locate your records from just your name I don't know; however, even if I had nothing at all of any of these items, I'd still consider applying for "regularization" of status, providing all the detail about what happened, including approximate date your FM3 was issued, this helping to establish when it expired.

Far better to attempt to deal with this, now, than to let time pass and guarantee they won't be able to renew your document, putting you in the position of having to get a new one, at a consulate outside Mexico.

Expiring FM2/3s are also to be avoided for the reason that renewals do not require meeting the new standards for personal financial solvency that the changes to the immigration law introduced in Nov, last year brought: this is especially important for those in the status which used to be called, "visitante rentista". The new laws require a showing of a guaranteed income of nearly $2,000 USD/month, or liquid assets of approximately $100,000.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice