renting phone or using a phone card

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by judybee, Jul 12, 2008.

1. judybee

judybee Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D
    hi
    we have 2 family going to cancun some are staying at the westin and some are staying at the hilton. i was wondering what is the best way to contact each other with cell phone rental or using the phone card? we dont want to spend too much money. i never used a phone card before and wonder if you can use it to call the hotels in cancun? or will the hotels charge extra for calls made local ?
    thanks for any help :D

2. CinciCouple

CinciCouple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    We always rent a phone, about $65 for seven days (including airtime), which has worked fine for us. They load the phone with all your numbers ahead of time so you don't have to worry about using the correct codes to dial to the states. We use it to keep in contact with our kids and mother-in-law while we are away.Not sure how it would work if you were just using to contact someone at another hotel. Cancun Valet is who we have always used and they will deliver it to your hotel or the driver will have it for you if you use their car service for transfers to/from the airport. Steve has a link for them somewhere on the website.

Good luck, have fun!

Beth

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Phone cards are not usually accepted within the hotels, you'll have to find a public phone and put up with traffic noise. Hotel to hotel calls should be cheap as they are local calls but I know from my own experiences of trying to call people that often systems aren't working, people aren't in their rooms when you call, answerphone doesnt kick in etc.

Renting a couple of cell phones would give you maximum freedom and minimum hassle and you could call home on them too, but you'll have to decide whether the added cost is worth that extra flexibility.

Check out http://www.cancunvalet.com for details.

4. urefinneJ

urefinneJ Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another good (possibly better) option for cell rental is Mexitel.net
    as calls to the US with their phones are only $1 (per call, not per minute), incoming calls are free, and they send the phone to you before you leave so you have it when you first arive.

5. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree with steve, I have used cancunvalet before when renting a cell phone and it was GREAT! Although I now can use my own cell phone down there, but when I rented one off them it was a great experience and well worth the money to have a phone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice