Rent a car??

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by pjscardz, Feb 24, 2009.

1. pjscardz

pjscardz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We're going to take the tour to Chichen Itza but wonder if we should pay for the tour to Tulum/Xel-Ha or just rent a car and do it on our own. Any suggestions?

2. madao

madao Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We're planning on renting a car to do Chichen and then again on another day to do Tulum/Xel-Ha.

Whats ur reasoning for doing a tour to Chichen Itza rather than drive?

3. pjscardz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chichen Itza is far away in the jungle and with very few if not any english speaking residents. I have no interest in getting lost out there. Tulum is easy to get to by car and fairly populated. I guess we could rent a car and follow the tour bus but I prefer to be on my own schedule when I have a car...

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a resident I would never take a tour. But the tour does mean you don't need to think.

Chichen Itza is so easy to find, I can't imagine getting lost going there...I have however missed the turn to the Tulum ruins...

Personally I don't think Tulum is worth spending a lot of money to see, what's nice about it is that it overlooks the ocean...if you have a car there you can wander in to the town and get lunch on your own schedule...

5. atc

atc Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We book a driver with Entertainment plus got picked up when we wanted and went where we wanted cost a little more but was will worth it

6. madao

madao Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As RiverGirl says its pretty much one road all the way to Chichen, should be an easy drive

A car for Tulum is a good idea. You only need a couple hours there and you can then do whatever you want for the rest of the day.

Reccomendations would be Xel-Ah or Xcaret on the way back as you could do on a tour. Other options would be having a look at Hidden Worlds which is near Xel-Ha which is a good few options for seeing Cenotes.

Alternativly Akumal beach, not crowded and if your lucky as well as a reef full of fish you can swim with sea turtles. One of the best memories from my trip 3 years ago!

7. pjscardz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info! I might just get the car for Chichen too. I went to Tulum and Xel-Ha when I was there almost 20 years ago. I don't remember Xcaret being around then, is it better than Xel-ha?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice