Registering an FM3 obtained from a consulate in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunGringa, Mar 13, 2007.

1. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi - I need to register my FM3 in Cancun that I obtained from a Mexican Consulate in the U.S. I have not been to immigration in Cancun yet, but I want to have as many documents as possible that might be required on my first visit. This is a list I got from a friend who went through the process about 6 months ago. Does anyone else who has been through this have any advice or suggestions based on their experience? Would you recommend using a lawyer or doing it on my own?

1. Original y copia del formato oficial de solicitud firmada por el extranjero o su representante legal.

2. Original y copia documento migratorio VIGENTE del extranjero.

QUESTION: what is the difference between requirements #1 and #2? Is one of them the green FM3 book and the other the visa that is in my U.S. passport?

3. Original y copia, para su debido cotejo, de TODAS las paginas del pasaporte

4. Carta en espanol firmada por el extranjero, dirigida al Instituto Nacional de Migracion, el la que solicite su tramite correspondiente a su cambio de domicilio, indicando la nueva direccion.

5. Presentar Original y copia, para su debido cotejo, del comprobante de domicilio actual (contrato de arrendamiento, recibo de telefono, aqua, luz o estado de cuenta bancaria). Si el comprobante de domicilio esta a nombre de otra persona, eta debera manifestar por escrito y bajo protesta de decir verdad la fecha a partir de la cual el extranjero vive en dicho domicilio, anexando copia de una identificacion.

QUESTION: If the contract for my apartment is in my name, but the utility bills are in the landlord's name, is the contract alone enough? A friend had to get a letter from the landlord and a copy of her ID, even though the contract was in her (my friend's) name. My landlord lives in Merida so that's going to be harder to get quickly if it's needed.

Thanks

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm confused. The requirements you are listing seem to be those for getting an FM3. Unfortunately hubby is in DF, but he'll be back tonight, maybe we can talk this over on the phone after he's back.

Are you back in Cancun now? If I'm remembering right, when you enter Mexico you need to get your FM3 signed and stamped on the first page by the agent who checks you at the airport. You should not need to go downtown at all.

3. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola - From what I understand, there are two parts to the FM3 process, approval and registering it. When you apply for it while in Mexico, both steps are taken care of at one time. When applying for it outside of Mexico, only the approval can be done at a consulate, and the registration must be done in Mexico. So I think my list is a partial list of the application process for someone applying from within Mexico. I already did the bank statements, health letter, police department letter for the approval part of it at the consulate in Minnesota.

That would be fantastic if it all happened at the airport, but my friend who just did this same thing at the consulate had to go to the immigration office in Cancun to get it registered (and the process was not very clear cut and they kept asking for new things every time she went back).

I arrive tomorrow morning, and the consulate told me I need some things filled out by the immigration official at the airport the first time I enter with the FM3. That would be great if you could ask your hubby the list of things needed for the immigration office. Is he working tomorrow morning? If so, I will look for him and try to get in his line. Otherwise, hopefully we can chat when I get back. I'm moving to a new apartment as soon as I get back, and will have a new contract, so it will be a week or two before I actually go to immigration.

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty sure you're supposed to update your FM3 whenever you change your residential address. And you get fined if they figure out you haven't been doing it.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will try to remember to talk to him tonight when he gets back. His plane lands at 6 pm. And yes he is working tomorrow. But things there are so whacked that they keep pulling him away from checking tourists to do other stuff. Half the people who know how to run things are in jail...so they need his expertise...or something like that. I will PM you his cell phone # and tell him that you will be looking for him when you get there.

I'm pretty sure that some FM3s which are issued abroad need only to be signed and stamped by an official here upon entry. But maybe yours has another step too. When musicians, for example, come in to work for 3 days they have an FM3 already. They get it stamped and signed, they do their concerts and they leave. There's no more to it.

But maybe if you are doing Rentista there's a bit more to it?? Not sure. Anyway one way or another I'll get some more info for you.

Have a good trip back, and quit avoiding me when you are here!!!

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Make sure you go before you move to make the address change even one day and they will fine you.Speaking from experience, it was a long time ago but it happened to me.
    And I am sure that they will tell you what to do in Imigration at the airport.
    The difference

7. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Rivergirl - Got it. I sent you a reply.

Cunspin - But since this is my first FM3 (blah blah blah, I know, FMT for 6 years... But I'm doing it the right way now.. haha) in immigration's eyes the apartment I am moving to next week is my FIRST place of residence in Cancun. And I need a copy of the contract to register the FM3. So how can I file a change of residence when, officially, no former residence existed, and if I register it before I sign the new contract, I wont' have a contract to submit, which is one of the requirements for registering it? Maybe what you're saying regarding notifying them of a change is only for moving AFTER the FM3 is registered and official and one residence is already on file with them??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice