Reduced service: We got robbed

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Steve, Mar 17, 2009.

1. momo14

momo14 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's shitty. Take care and I hope you get things sorted.

Mel

2. funcouple

funcouple Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is just awful. Like someone else said everything can be replaced, but the value of the wedding and engagement ring can not be measured in dollars and cents. I hope you get everything sorted out real fast and that they catch the people that did this to you. I am just glad that no one was hurt.

3. Jakman

Jakman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear that for sure Steve. Glad you and the family was not there when it went down and you are safe. Hang in there my friend. Jakman

4. ffto

ffto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,

I guess you will be getting an alarm system now. I have one that was less than 100.00 and it has a very loud speaker. Do the Police there take reports and do they ever recover what you have lost?
    I am so sorry you have lost so much, espically the momentos of your wedding. If we can help by getting you some equipment, let us know. We could donate 20.00 each and put you back in business in a few days.

let us know and don't be shy. We are all friends and that is what friends do is help one another. Believe me I know as I am in a brotherhood of Firemen and we help each other.

You help us in so many ways, I think it may be time to return the favor.

Don

5. W&K

W&K Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    That sucks!!!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks for the supportive comments all.

Jannet was at the police station all evening yesterday then again this morning. We waited up until midnight last night without touching anything for the fingerprint people to come, they never did.

We have one police guy on a 5,000 peso reward to get our computers back within a week. He came and spent about an hour at the house today and intends to interview the guy that washes our car, he was washing other cars in the street yesterday when we left. Also he'll be checking out the known suspects of the area. None of our neighbours saw or heard anything suspicious. We are sure that the thief must have been watching when we left, we were only gone 90 mins

They gained access by using bolt cutters to cut either side of the padlock on our security gate that covers the patio doors at the rear of the house. 1/4 steel cut like butter. Then they forced the sliding glass door that was also locked.

A couple of worrying things.
    The police guy found some markings on our wall that were in code. Now, I know that all sorts of 'genuine' people seem to take liberties writing crap on your wall here, like the water inspectors and others but this code appeared to be unusual to him. It was a cross with numbers written in each quadrant 2, 1 ,1 (2 adults, 1 child, 1 car???) and some other symbols.

We also discovered some plastic packaging that had been tossed away empty in our front garden that from reading the writing on the packaging contained three (yes three ??) knuckle dusters which had razor blades embedded extendable via a thumb switch. Of course, these two things could be totally unconnected.

We weren't insured, stupid thing on our part. We lost about $6K of stuff altogether but we can replace it all without any real hardship. The only real problem is getting a computer with an English OS and keyboard - getting a custom spec desktop from Dell in Mexico City is probably our best option but that will take about two weeks to be built and arrive, meanwhile I'm not doing too well on the Spanish system I've borrowed. I might also be looking for a courier to bring me down a laptop from the US, not 100% sure on that yet though.

Jannets wedding and engagement rings are the worst thing to have lost, but I've already told her that I'll get her new ones and they'll be bigger and better this time around!

I think we got lax on security, not hiding valuables properly etc. Of course in your own house you shouldnt have to, but I think we will be more careful from now on. Lesson learned. Living here it's not a question of if but when, kind of like it was where we lived in the UK.

7. maximus

maximus Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is just wrong!!!1

I'm still debating if I want to take my laptop or not, I'm not sure if anyone has been victims of room robbery. I would not take a laptop in public places specially open areas in Mexico, I used to live in Mexico so I know how it is. I'm just glad that no one was hurt during this episode, the things can be replaced, as long as everybody is ok then is good.

8. njfuninthesun

njfuninthesun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve

I certainly agree with Don. Also if you need anything from the states that can wait until May 8 we would gladly be your couriers

9. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Computer

Steve.
    Check your PM's or give me a call.
    Tom

10. sdherman

sdherman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck with everything, that is a horrible story! Good luck with everything!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice