Recycling in Cancun? (and really good cheese too)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Alma Libre, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Took our first drive to Cancun yesterday, shocked at all the new buildings and construction in town.

Was most shocked by what appeared to be recycling booths at shopping centres around the city. Can this be true? They appeared to be taking plastic...anything else (glass maybe?) Can you just drop recyclables off? Is it for a limited time only?

The other biggest shock was seeing Tillamook cheese in Costco. This is one of the many things (along with dishwasher detergent Rivergirl) we import for ourselves every year.

We're glad to be back, but there is so much to do! We haven't even seen the ocean yet. They tell us it's nice...

2. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Recycling has been going on for a few years now at most of the primary schools, they took it citywide last winter or maybe early spring. You can recycle all Pet, Paper and Aluminum. Glass is still not being recycled not sure why though.
    Yes you can drop of at any of the containers they just ask that you separate the plastics and the Paper and the caps of Bottles.

3. gjp

gjp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Tillamook cheese at Costco is hit or miss. I am curious as to how much it is there - a regular loaf here, in Oregon, where it's made, is $6. Did you notice how much it was in the Costco? I'm just curious as to how much of a difference it is to import it to Mexico and "import" it the hour it takes to get from Tillamook to Beaverton...

And this is kind of funny. When I left Cancun in late June there were trash cans at the airport that were round with a flat swinging lid - the lid was split down the middle, one side for recyclables, one for trash. They both went into the same can, as it was only the lid that was split...

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those recycling spots take batteries too I think. We have 7 gazillion rechargables so I have not recycled batteries though.

5. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can recyle pets??? :lol:

That's interesting though, I thought those recycle bins were for plastic bottles only. Good to know!

6. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info on the recycling. I had never seen the big red booths before.

The Tillamook was around 100 pesos for the "Special Reserve Extra Sharp Cheddar".

Maybe a couple of bucks more than OR?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice