Recent Death at Oasis Cancun last sunday?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by EngineerGuy, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most resorts don't have lifeguards on duty at all...it's swim at your own risk.

2. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And especially with the Ocean, it really is swim at your own risk those waves and the current are strong so beware...And please don't let your kids swim alone people. I see it every year.. :roll:

3. nolan84

nolan84 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drowning at Oasis

My name is Maureen Webster and I am the mother of Nolan Webster the 22 year old man from Woburn Mass that drowned at the Oasis on 1/7 at 4PM. I have many unanswered questions. The hotel has not ever offered any explanation and it is up to me to find out exactly what happened there on that afternoon. He was a beautiful boy that just graduated college on 12/21 and his father and I gave him a trip as a graduation gift. We have been contacted by other hotel guests that have located us through the internet to let us know how distraught they are about the way the situation was handled. Please, please get involved if you know anything. He was a very special person that had a wake where people waited in line for over 4 hours. It was attended by 1500 people. Please read about the man he was on BostonGlobe.com obituary 1/11. Read the many posts on the guest book and look at his beautiful picture. Our hearts are in a million pieces and we need answers. Me email address is (webster623@rcn.com) or call me at 781-933-8615. God bless you all for any support and prayers.

4. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Clearly you should PM the poster from above they may be able to shed some light on your situation.

5. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Oasis Cancun drowning

That may have due to you opening up the previously blocked airway and air or gases escaping.

Can you confirm that it was around 7.30am when you swam over to him?

6. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    He appears to have a myspace account, but of course, there would be no answers there...

7. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Here's another report in the Diario de Quintana Roo. It includes a picture of a shrouded figure, so...apologies to friends and relatives. Local papers tend to have less dignity for these situations:
    http://www.dqr.com.mx/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3093&Itemid=16

Untranslated:
    Translated:
    So this report indicates it happened at 5:30 p.m. What gives?

8. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well michael, the woman posting as his mother said it happened around four. someone else 730?

confooooooosing. :?

9. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    She should get in touch with the reporter, Gabriel ALCOCER, to see if he is able/willing to provide his sources. Maybe he can send a copy of the police report...presuming it is public info?

10. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did a quick translation of the article Michael posted on another board and copied and pasted here. Please pardon the sloppiness...I only devoted a couple of minutes to it, just to get the gist of it. But it may be a bit easier to read than those mind-bending auto translations!

Cancun, Jan. 8. A young American tourist passed away in the Hotel Oasis Cancun, after having suffered a bad blow to the face when he slipped and fell in the pool area. In this tragic case, the student, N.W., 23 years old from Massachusetts, passed away around 5:30 pm on Sunday, when he was found intoxicated and accompanied by his girlfriend.

The Preventative Police, transport police, and firefighters informed us that the first version of what occurred indicated that the now deceased had attempted to dive into the pool, but slipped and hit his head on the concrete edge. He had been staying in room number…along with his girlfriend, KMZ, who suffered a nervous attack when presented with the death of her boyfriend. The police reported that the American had (not going to translate, a bit graphic) and also gave off a strong smell of alcohol. The judicial agents found that the tourist had slipped at the edge of the pool, hit his head, and fell into the water, from which he was removed and resuscitation was attempted. Red Cross paramedics arrived and confirmed the death moments later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice